Drink the nanny state!

Man of Honour
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8278312.stm

A brewery has launched a low alcohol beer called Nanny State after being branded irresponsible for creating the UK's "strongest beer".

Scottish brewer BrewDog, of Fraserburgh, was criticised for Tokyo* which has an alcohol content of 18.2%.

BrewDog said it hoped the same critics would now congratulate it for producing the 1.1% alcohol content Nanny State.

I like the way these guys think :) What's the betting it gets ignored?

The country doesn't need the government making decisions for people, it is that culture that has got us into the social mess we are in now...

Caporegime
The country doesn't need the government making decisions for people, it is that culture that has got us into the social mess we are in now...

Yeah, like the government's decision to allow 24 hour drinking. How dare they make that decision for us! Typical nanny state, allowing us to drink 24/7 instead of maintaining the traditional restrictions on licensing hours. I'm just disgusted that they're letting us drink whenever we like, instead of telling us when we can and can't drink! Freedom to drink at the time of our choosing?! It's political correctness gone mad! Or something. :mad: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Theres an alcohol focus group is Scotland? What do they do, focus on getting as many jocks to drink as much Tennants Super Strength as possible?

Soldato
Somewhat ironic that the drinks industry is probably one of the most unregulated out there, with the Portman Group of brewers providing voluntary 'regulation' (of which Brewdog have fallen foul).

The worst they have experienced is being criticised by a charity - they haven't faced any censure or ban from the state at all.

Good marketing though - the 'controversy' no doubt provides useful free publicity.

Soldato
Yeah, like the government's decision to allow 24 hour drinking. How dare they make that decision for us! Typical nanny state, allowing us to drink 24/7 instead of maintaining the traditional restrictions on licensing hours. I'm just disgusted that they're letting us drink whenever we like, instead of telling us when we can and can't drink! Freedom to drink at the time of our choosing?! It's political correctness gone mad! Or something. :mad: :rolleyes:

I'd say that was more of a backtrack on a decision they already made for us, rather than freedom they've granted to us.

Associate
Good marketing, nothing to do with the fact they will make loads more profit out of this one due to seriously reduced duty, of course.

Wish all the IPA were still very high per centage would love to try some of the old ones.

Caporegime
I'd say that was more of a backtrack on a decision they already made for us, rather than freedom they've granted to us.

See wordy's response. Successive British governments have relaxed licensing hours progressively (particularly since the 1960s). In fact, you have to go back as far as 1914 for a genuine example of "nanny state" legislation on licensing hours. Ever since then, it's been getting easier and easier to grab a pint!

Back
Top Bottom