Driving an R34 GTR / MK4 Supra / R35 GTR

Associate
So in the summer 2020 I'll be off to Japan for a holiday. My plan is to rent one of the above cars for one day and drive around their mountain roads. I'm a bit undecided on which of these 3 to go for. The R34 and Supra are definitely hero cars for me, I grew up in the gran turismo / fast and furious generation and always loved them.

The R35 is more curiosity to see just how quick it is, but I don't see them in the same hero light as the other two. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me their driving experiences and opinions of these cars to try and help me make my decision. Cheers

Associate
OP
The only answer from me is the R34! It's been my dream for as long as I can remember. My wife bought me a go in a 2F2F replica (I'm fairly sure it was a GTT not a GTR though) for 6 laps round a track and it was great fun. The Supra would be a close second. The R35 is more of a curiosity for me too, it's clearly the faster car but I don't see it being the most "fun".

I'm incredibly jealous of your Japan visit - go and enjoy whichever you choose! And Merry Christmas.

R34 all day long. Supras are crap drivers' cars. R35 is nice but every mile you cover in it, you'll be wondering what the other two are like. You can also hire an R35 anywhere.
Thanks guys. Think I will definitely have a closer look at the R34 then!
Have you actually checked whether you can do this? I'd be somewhat surprised if it's easy to rent at least two of those cars...
Yeah I've looked into it a bit and it seems like there's 2 main companies that do it in English. This one seems to be cheaper and has better condition cars according to an article I've read.
https://www.omoren.com/en/

Associate
OP
Wow lots of replies! So with regards to the lack of comfort, I'm not super bothered because this will be a one day rental just driving for most of the day around the mountains etc. This is also why I'm not bothered about any Tokyo speed limits either.

I did consider the NSX but the one this company has is an automatic which is not really what I envision when driving an old NSX.

One thing that does concern me about the R35 is I've never driven anything with that much power before. It says on the website that it's been detuned to 450bhp but this is still much more than my old 350z for example. I'm wondering if this amount of power maybe excessive in a car I'd have for one day driving on roads that I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Associate
OP
After reading the thread, it seems the supra is definitely not the one to go for. So I watched some videos of the GTRs facing off against each other and decided I'll take the R34. I think if I was renting in the UK I'd probably grab the R35, but given I don't know the roads I'll be driving and I've read that Japan has a 180km/h limit which would be trivial to hit in a 450bhp GTR, I think it's not going to be as fun. I also think that although I've still probably got plenty of time to try the R35, the rising prices and increasing rarity of the R34 means it may not be an option in the future for a reasonable price.

I considered this back in 2016, but it was the mountain passes around Hakone. Can't remember the company but they had a good selection of motors but the excess was quite high at the time so my plans changed.

ed: It was a company called Fun2drive
Yeah this was another company I looked at. In the article I read they did mention that it was quite an effort to get to and more expensive than the other company. I also looked at their website and it mentions tours which could be good or not very much depending on the other people involved in the tour. I'm no driving god but I'd hate to be held up by a group on an otherwise nice drive.

Associate
OP
I would highly, highly recommend going for one of the fun2drive tours. It’s the more expensive option but it’s very well run and incredibly enjoyable. I wanted to drive 2 cars so I did a short comparative drive (30 mins) in an FD RX7 and then the full Ultimate Hakone tour in an NSX. With hindsight I would’ve gone the other way round as the twin turbos and power steering of the RX7 was better suited to the tight and twisty roads, both were brilliant though.

Getting there isn’t difficult, just a bit long. It’s a single bus ride from Shinjuki station, takes two hours but stops literally outside the location. Keep in mind that Omoshiro isn’t particularly close to any train stations. Also Hakone is where you want to be going anyway for that true Initial D experience so that drive out would be the same anyway.

The tour was great, our group was split in to two so I was in the NSX, with an AE86 and R34 GTR. You can ask them to pick up the pace if you feel it’s a little slow but frankly they don’t hang about anyway, know the roads inside out and have more talent than me. The roads are literally straight out of Initial D, they even print out shots from the anime to show you which roads were depicted in the different battles etc. I really don’t think I would have had anywhere near the same experience or driven as hard as that if I just rented a car and went off on my own.

Out of the cars you're looking at I would probably go for the R34 GTR but it's a big car for those roads. The AE86 and R34 in my group were being driven by a couple so they swapped halfway through the day, they seemed to enjoy both cars a lot but preferred the AE86 as you could use a lot more of the power, more of the time.

I was obsessed with getting an RX7 before that trip but it cemented that even further, to the point that I ended up finally buying an FD last year.
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been in the UK for a week seeing family. That looks awesome, it's definitely changed my opinion of that company. I'll have a more serious look into it and if the NSX is a manual then I'll probably get that instead (the one from the company I was looking at was auto). With these tours do they stop driving at all? My plan was to go near to Mount Fuji, I've not really looked into it yet but there is one road there called Hakone Skyline which is supposedly the best road in Japan but I'd like to stop at some points and take pictures / eat food etc.

Back
Top Bottom