Driving around Cambridge

Associate
Work have started sending me over there so thought i'd ask on here if anyone who knows the area can tell me about all the different road time restrictions and zones etc? Anything to be aware of?

Make sure you are not on Milton road after dusk during rush hour, otherwise you'll loose your soul will to live; watch out for bus lanes
Cameras on the elizabeth way bridge -

I'd make sure you don't have to inadvertently cross the centre during rush hour and make sure you get to your destination via perimeter

It kind of depends where in Cambridge - the centre has a few one-way systems (like any historic city, I think) but other than the restrictions on Bridge Street, various rising bollards etc. I don't think there's anything hugely complicated. There are always loads of cyclists. As jpaul said, Milton Road is currently wretched.

Are you needing to drive in the centre or is it more the outskirts / science / business parks?

It kind of depends where in Cambridge - the centre has a few one-way systems (like any historic city, I think) but other than the restrictions on Bridge Street, various rising bollards etc. I don't think there's anything hugely complicated. There are always loads of cyclists. As jpaul said, Milton Road is currently wretched.

Are you needing to drive in the centre or is it more the outskirts / science / business parks?
Did a job in CB1 area yesterday and then another in Hinxton so went down the Mill road onto Babraham Road and saw a sign saying limited access onto Worts Causeway which got me thinking.

Watch out for the bus gates, too. Seen a few people get caught out by those. Worth just having a quick look online to familiarise yourself with their appearance and location.

Last edited:
Work have started sending me over there so thought i'd ask on here if anyone who knows the area can tell me about all the different road time restrictions and zones etc? Anything to be aware of?
parking in the centre is pricey if you cant expense it, the centre has some areas you cant get by car. I know of 1 part time bus only road at peak times but generally its not a hard place to drive in esp with satnav (nothing like London, Manchester or Birmingham)
There are some diversions in place at the moment, but they are temporary.

Cambridge centre itsself is pretty small (i walked right across it last week to avoid the £26 parking fee in the Graduate hotel (which is a great place to stop on business if you can expense it.... take your swimmers!)....... but I am a tight fisted sod :D, The surrounding areas are absolutely fine.

For the centre however, i would park and ride it if that is feasible.

@cyber69 you were in Hinxton? anything to do with the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus? (that is my work place)

Last edited:
It's awful and Cambridge council hate cars, or most things actually which the University doesn't want...

Last edited:
Did a job in CB1 area yesterday and then another in Hinxton so went down the Mill road onto Babraham Road and saw a sign saying limited access onto Worts Causeway which got me thinking.
I think they're talking about closing the upper part of Mill Road (from Parkside to the railway bridge) to through-traffic, again. Either way, Mill Road is usually one to avoid as a driver, unless you specifically need to drive to one of the roads off it.

Not sure I've ever driven on Worts' Causeway, sorry.

It's awful and Cambridge council hate cars, or most things actually which the University doesn't want...
Provided you avoid busy areas at rush hour (Mill Road, Parkside area, Chesterton Road, Milton, Trumpington) it's fine IMO, like any modern UK city with an historic centre :)

the have been talking about closing that for a little while now...... Will be interesting to see if it happens. As someone who goes into the centre only when i absolutely have to its fine for me, the P&R is perfect and cheap.

could be a PITA for residents however if they have to change their route to get about. It may not happen for ages anyway, they have been threatening a ULEZ or congestion charge for absoloutely ages but that has not happened yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom