Driving to the south of France... help me plan?

Soldato
Hi Guys, looking at a family holiday to the south of France next year, and would like your help planning and costing the journey?

I've got permission from Motability to take my car to France and I'm covered by RAC European Breakdown Cover.

Traveling from Liverpool to Argeles Sur-Mer is an almost 18hr journey. I need to plan for fuel costs and a hotel stop around the halfway mark. Can you guys help? I've never done anything like this planning wise.

I done it twice. Non stop except for fuel and food. But, over 12 years ago now!! Can be very tiring.

Yeah, I've done the journey myself a few times as a passenger when I was in my teens... My ex brother in law was a long distance lorry driver so thought nothing of it. My Missus, not so much. This will be her first time

@#Chri5# So it's a single driver unfortunately I don't think I'll have passed my test by then.

Fortunately we're all good on boats, the less actual driving she needs to do the better so an overnight ferry might be perfect, I was mainly thinking of just a hotel en route for the night so she can get plenty of rest. And we'd rather stay on the autoroutes for speed and time really

Some of the tolls we went through in August were much quicker on a tag. We had a tag but the in-laws in their car paid on card and on some very busy tolls we could end up 5 to 10 minutes in front of them. Pont de Normandie was probably the most extreme example as that had big queues both ways and even getting to the dedicated tag lane had you in the queue. However, when we've travelled in June they've been quieter and the tag benefit much less noticeable.

As @Hawk Tuah says, it's a long slog for a single driver. Fifteen minute breaks for toilet & driver change probably turn into 45 to 60 minutes to let the driver relax and get a good break. At peak weekends in the summer, some of the French autoroute services can be very busy and even finding a parking space might need a few laps of the car park. The aires with no facilities can be quieter but you're obviously not going to get a coffee or anything.

A ferry into Le Havre saves about 100 to 200km (each way) in France compared to the tunnel, so maybe a 1 to 2 hour saving.

Are you totally set on Argeles Sur-Mer?

Not 100% set on it but it is a place with a lot of memories of my dad. Do want to add this will be in May 2025 and not during the school hols as I've gotten permission to take the kids out of school.

Back
Top Bottom