Driving with the wrong plates penalty?

Sgarrista
Commissario
Which direction was she caught? Eg will the evidence photo show her face or just the backside of a car?

If its just going to be the backside of a car, get the correct plates back on it and say nothing.

Obviously the owner of the car she sold will be fine (even if he has to go through a bit of annoyance and paperwork) as the details wont match up.

If she starts fessing up and trying to "do the right thing" then shes just going to dig herself into more trouble as she doesnt sound particularly bright and capable.

Soldato
OP
It gets better, when I put the cars real plate in to Ask MID it comes up as uninsured.

When I put the private plate in it comes up as insured but of course it's for the wrong make & model, so it sounds like she's insured herself on the wrong car too so I have to presume she has been caught speeding whilst uninsured driving a car with false plates effectively?

Soldato
It gets better, when I put the cars real plate in to Ask MID it comes up as uninsured.

When I put the private plate in it comes up as insured but of course it's for the wrong make & model, so it sounds like she's insured herself on the wrong car too so I have to presume she has been caught speeding whilst uninsured driving a car with false plates effectively?

Basically what she needs to do asap

Call insurance and tell them about her new/current plate so they can update her policy/car etc
Remove the wrong plates from her new car and put the ones she has declared to insurance on asap
Contact buyer of the car she just sold and tell him to expect a ticket and identify her as driver if it comes through

Man of Honour
Ooof sounds like this is going to get very messy.

For clarity she put the original plates back on the old car before selling it and kept the private/personalised ones but hasn't done the "paper work" on changing over?

Soldato
Yeah this is messy for the new owner as well. As their car has plates for a registration that is presumably technically unallocated, they're also driving their car with incorrect plates and without valid insurance and tax.

I don't understand how it could've got to this point with the old owner taxing and insuring their new car with mismatched details and the OP's sis thinking it would be a good move to just change the plates over without informing anyone. Seems pretty bizarre for both sides.

Soldato
Ooof sounds like this is going to get very messy.

For clarity she put the original plates back on the old car before selling it and kept the private/personalised ones but hasn't done the "paper work" on changing over?

Sorry to say but shes an idiot

Fill out the online form to put the plates n retention, costs £80

Call the insurance company with the original plates from new car and insure it properly.

Then if she wants to she can pay abother £80 to transfer the plates to the new car but id wait a few months for this complete and utter mess to blow over.

Back
Top Bottom