Driving with the wrong plates penalty?

Soldato
That’s my understanding too. They’ve got the original plates on but the DVLA still have the private plates registered to the old car. Therefore both drivers are driving with incorrect plates and therefore invalid tax and insurance.

Soldato
If it's on the V5 for that car, then it's gone with the car (and the new owner should be displaying those plates). She can't get it back unless the new owner agrees to hand it over.

Her using it is basically like using a cloned plate. If caught the penalties aren't going to be light.

Last edited:
Soldato
But from what the OP said, his sister is driving with the private plates on the new car. Although foolish to assume you can just do that, I'd assume she isn't foolish enough to think you could have the same plates on both cars so I would then make the assumption she's put the original plates on the old car.

As far as the DVLA are concerned the old car should have the private plates on, but I'm interpreting it as the old car now has the regular plates on it so that one is wrong too.

But that's all based on assumptions. Need some further clarification to be sure.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Yeah if there was no paperwork done for the transfer of the plate then the buyer has no issue.
They bought a car with a private plated detailed on the V5 - they now own it.

I hope it wasn't an expensive or meaningfull plate as your sister no longer owns it.
The first thing the buyer would do is check the price for similar plates online if your sister asked for it back.

So back to boggo plates for her, oh and a chat with her insurance company

However, I hope your sister didn't simply remove the plates off the car she sold and added the original plates back on.
As she's then causing bother for the buyer too!

Soldato
If the sister hasn't transferred the plate then she won't have changed the details on the V5 either. So either the private plate is still on the old car, which matches the V5, or it isn't.

If it isn't it wouldn't surprise me if the buyer hasn't checked the plate against the V5 and has taxed and insured it against what's on the docs rather than what's displayed on the car.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm extremely confused. Need clarification on exactly what the sister did when selling the car and transferring the plates.

It does sound like it's gone south quickly though.

Soldato
Yeah, the speeding ticket might have actually done everyone a favour. Could have been much worse, an RTA for instance.

At least the ticket provides some wriggle room, if the buyer is sympathetically co-operative.

Man of Honour
OK now I think I get it.

Sister sold car with a private plate. She assumed she could just change ownership after the sale.

New owner has either insured the car on the original or private plate. Not sure on which one.

Sister buys a new car. Gets plates made up with the private plate. But hasn't yet transferred it. Then buys insurance using the private plate registration. So she's just insured the new owers car instead of hers.

Ouch. Not sure what advice to give really.

Soldato
OK now I think I get it.

Sister sold car with a private plate. She assumed she could just change ownership after the sale.

Yeah, likely. Unlikely she's put the original reg back on the V5 which would require marginally more awareness than transferring the plate before she sold the car.

New owner has either insured the car on the original or private plate. Not sure on which one.

Yeah, most probably insured on the private plate. Though unknown if the car displays private or original plate.

Sister buys a new car. Gets plates made up with the private plate. But hasn't yet transferred it. Then buys insurance using the private plate registration. So she's just insured the new owers car instead of hers.

Surely the insurance company would spot that though? Don't they check against DVLA records? Surely you can't just insure an imaginary car?

Maybe new car is insured with the correct plates as per V5, but sister is displaying private plate on car.

Man of Honour
Yeah, likely. Unlikely she's put the original reg back on the V5 which would require marginally more awareness than transferring the plate before she sold the car.

Yeah, most probably insured on the private plate. Though unknown if the car displays private or original plate.

Surely the insurance company would spot that though? Don't they check against DVLA records? Surely you can't just insure an imaginary car?

Maybe new car is insured with the correct plates as per V5, but sister is displaying private plate on car.
A real car with the private plate would exist, so the insurance company wouldn't know it's the wrong car. The sister probably didn't pay attention and because she was used to i suring that exact car with that exact number plate she probably didn't check the paperwork sufficiently. Most people insure online nowadays so you rarely actually talk to anyone.

Caporegime
So OP said his sister had taken the plates off the car, so presumably the new owner is driving around with the old plates but it's actually still registered with the private plate? Sounds like it could be a bit of a mess for them as well!

I'd be interested to know how the new owner got it taxed and insured

Basically what she needs to do asap

Call insurance and tell them about her new/current plate so they can update her policy/car etc
Remove the wrong plates from her new car and put the ones she has declared to insurance on asap
Contact buyer of the car she just sold and tell him to expect a ticket and identify her as driver if it comes through

shes declared the "private" plate to insurance on her new car.

so she has declared she has moved the plate when she hasn't. therefore she doesn't have valid insurance.

she has sold the plate with the car. so she needs to ask if she can get it back.

what she needs to do is put the original plates back on her new car. then update insurance to normal plates. tell new owner of old car what has happened and ask if she can get old plate transferred to her new car.

if it's worth proper money they are within their rights to say your loss. if it's not worth anything and they don't like it they might agree. or she could offer to buy the plate off them.

Sorry to say but shes an idiot

Fill out the online form to put the plates n retention, costs £80

Call the insurance company with the original plates from new car and insure it properly.

Then if she wants to she can pay abother £80 to transfer the plates to the new car but id wait a few months for this complete and utter mess to blow over.

you only pay £80 once

There’s still the issue of the buyer surely, he/she is driving around on the wrong plates?

I think his sister the moron. Sold car with plates.

So new owner has it taxed and insured with the private plate.

Said moron thinks she can just print another plate and stick it on new car and it's now magically transferred over so insures under the private plate also.

Sister is most definitely lacking in brain cells. The new owner is fine. She will now try and steal the plate from them which will be interesting as that is theft and another law broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
We just taken private plates off a car.

Depends if you put them on retention or not

How else do you take them off a car and not transfer them to a new one? Retention.

Therefore you only pay £80 once.

I took plates off a car just over a year ago and put them on a car last month. it cost me nothing to do last month but £80 over a year ago.

Soldato
I'm very confused

When you sell a car, you have put the original plates back on and get a new V5 made up. Sounds like your sister has simply put the private plate on her new car and thought sod it.....why she's done this is anyones guess.

Unless the person who bought the car was told the private plates would be taken off and given the old plates to put back when they get a new V5? but then why put duplicate plates on before the paperwork is sorted.

Last edited:
Soldato
shes declared the "private" plate to insurance on her new car.

so she has declared she has moved the plate when she hasn't. therefore she doesn't have valid insurance.

she has sold the plate with the car. so she needs to ask if she can get it back.

what she needs to do is put the original plates back on her new car. then update insurance to normal plates. tell new owner of old car what has happened and ask if she can get old plate transferred to her new car.

if it's worth proper money they are within their rights to say your loss. if it's not worth anything and they don't like it they might agree. or she could offer to buy the plate off them.

That's exactly what I said?

Back
Top Bottom