Driving with the wrong plates penalty?

Soldato
OP
But, it is insured isn't it? Assuming that when she got her new car she insured it based on the Private plate...and taxed?

They have called their insurer and insured the car with her private plate, effectively insuring her old car which she has sold.

Soldato
What I don't get is that she sold the car with a private plate, and then somehow put the private plate on the new car. Did she buy an additional set of numberplates for the new car or did she physically remove the plates from the old car and add them to the new car?

Bearing in mind it is now a legal requirement for any numberplate make / seller to see ID and any related registration document (V5, etc), I fail to see how part of this story has been achieved.

Man of Honour
Bearing in mind it is now a legal requirement for any numberplate make / seller to see ID and any related registration document (V5, etc), I fail to see how part of this story has been achieved.
It's very easy to buy "show plates" from sellers that aren't worried about this.

Caporegime

Except that falls down when you consider that pretty much every personalised plate you see on the roads is illegal. They'll either not have the correct markings, they'll have incorrect spacing, incorrect font, conveniently placed screw caps, incorrect colour, incorrect size or additional text.

I thought when you registered a new registration that the old ones became the property of the DVLA.
Simply putting the old plates back on to the old car (assuming she did this) is surely incorrect, from what I can tell its likely you will receive the old number back, but its DVLA and its listed as "likely" so some gamble in assuming you would

Soldato
OP
What I don't get is that she sold the car with a private plate, and then somehow put the private plate on the new car. Did she buy an additional set of numberplates for the new car or did she physically remove the plates from the old car and add them to the new car?

Just physically removed them, she still had the original plates in the boot which she refitted when she sold it.

Soldato
Just physically removed them, she still had the original plates in the boot which she refitted when she sold it.

Right, so just for clarity.

You (she) took the private plate off and put the old original plates back on (a Reg that would have died when she put the private plates on). You (she) then sold the car with the old plate on, but with a V5 document for the private plate.

She then put the private plate on her new car (I assume discarding the old plates in the boot) and drove around and got caught speeding.

The V5 of the new car is a different reg to that display on the car so the speeding ticket will have gone to the new owner of the old car.

When they challenge it, it will then become a criminal case because the car will appear to have been cloned.

This is going to become sticky!

Soldato
Right, so just for clarity.

You (she) took the private plate off and put the old original plates back on (a Reg that would have died when she put the private plates on). You (she) then sold the car with the old plate on, but with a V5 document for the private plate.

She then put the private plate on her new car (I assume discarding the old plates in the boot) and drove around and got caught speeding.

The V5 of the new car is a different reg to that display on the car so the speeding ticket will have gone to the new owner of the old car.

When they challenge it, it will then become a criminal case because the car will appear to have been cloned.

This is going to become sticky!

This was my understanding when OP first posted up the story, which would mean the buyer of her car has the car with the incorrect plates on, meaning they could get just as much in trouble.

Although one thing i'm not too sure of, i would have thought the V5 slip that the new buyer gets would have had the reg on it, so presumably they've not clocked that the V5 shows a different reg than what the car currently has on it. Either that or the V5 new keeper slip doesn't have the car reg on it, and the buyer is in for a bit of a shock when it comes through the post.

Soldato
The buyer is probably in for a shock for an MoT, road fund fees and I would have thought insurance. As is the lady in it he OP.
If the v5 doesn't match it can't be long before one of the authorities notices.
Andi.

Man of Honour
How did the buyer not notice that the V5C had a different registration to the actual vehicle?

EDIT - Related anecdote.

When I was much younger, a girl I know took the number plates (physically) off of a scrapped car her dad had parked in the garden, and just put them on her own daily driver.
Until it came up in conversation between us, she had no concept that this was not how the whole private plate thing worked :eek:

Soldato
I thought when you registered a new registration that the old ones became the property of the DVLA.
Simply putting the old plates back on to the old car (assuming she did this) is surely incorrect, from what I can tell its likely you will receive the old number back, but its DVLA and its listed as "likely" so some gamble in assuming you would
Not from my experience, when I took my private off my old car, it re-inherited it's existing reg.

Back
Top Bottom