Dry roof ridge tile systems vs mortar

Soldato
Hi all,

I had a guy round to remove a damaged roof aerial today. He talked to me after about some deterioration of my roof which is mainly a flat roof section, and the ridge tiles where the mortar is starting to break up.

He recommended using a dry ridge tile system instead of mortaring. I looked up and down the street and whilst quite a few houses have had mortar repairs, there are also several using this dry system.

Has anyone got any experience of it please and can vouch for this system over a traditional mortar repair approach?

Im not sure what the cost difference will be yet, which will also be a factor. I have quite a lot of ridge tiles on my house because the roof is a funny triangular shape.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
Hi, as a roofer the switch from mortar ridges to dry is slowly taking place with more and more people switching to dry ridge system. It has a few benefits over mortar but the two main ones are low maintenance including mechanically fixed ridges and also offers ventilation. Most newly built houses now require dry ridges as part of the building regs.

Personally i'd have dry ridge system ridges/gables but not all houses will suit the system in style, bungalows are a tricky one for example (too much plastic low down).

As with anything, if you decided to go ahead try and find another opinion/quote from a local roofer/roofing company.

Back
Top Bottom