Drying a car with a leaf blower

Soldato
This seemed to be the faddy thing to do, and my old leaf blower/garden vac was not long for this world anyway. So I bought a cordless leaf blower (Greeenworks 40V) - even bought a 3d printed short exit to it supposed to make it work even better.

But I have to admit, I'm somewhat disappointed with the results. It moves the water, yes. But not as effectively as I'd hoped. Once you've stood there for ages waving it about (oo-er) I'm not sure it's any less effort than taking a drying towel to it.

I did wonder whether it's only truly effective on a car that's been ceramic coated after trying it on my own. But washed the wife's car this week, which was ceramic coated at Christmas (and it certainly works - washes effortlessly now) and while it might have been a bit better, I was still disappointed that it wasn't blasting the water away.

So - what have other people found? Was I expecting too much? Am I doing it wrong? Have I picked the wrong tool?

I use a battery powered Dewalt blower and it’s OK. The water does move off the car it takes a wee bit of work and patience. My car is usually waxed which may or may not make a difference. I don’t think it does. On the other hand I’ve also got a petrol powered blower. If it was t so heavy I’d use it all the time as it only takes a minute to blow dry the entire car!

My cars are ceramic coated, and I just use couple of drying towels to get what hasn't already beaded and fall off. It doesn't take long, and look less of a divvy using it on the street :D

Yeah my mind is blown :cry: i only treat mine to my local £5 immigrant car wash every couple of years at best!
i used to do that (albeit every month) however over the last 2 years their prices have gone up such that a cheap wash and hoover out now starts at £30.

which i am too tight for so i do the outside myself now about every 3 months (and hoover it out every year :D )

I bought a "pet dryer" and it's amazing. Less than half the price of a fancy "detailing blower" and it's literally the same thing, just with a shorter hose.
Get one with a heater and you're golden. Much lighter than a leaf blower and with proper nozzles so you can dry in all the cracks, etc.

Someone recommended it in the detailing thread and it's brilliant. Highly recommended!

I have the small DeWalt blower, bought some different nozzles off eBay. It's ok, but not as good as I was hoping.
Good for grills and bits like that, not super great over panels.

Back
Top Bottom