Dual-booting when EFI partition is on wrong drive

Associate
Not sure whether to put this in Windows or Linux... But I'm trying to dual-boot Ubuntu on my Windows PC, but I ran into a problem where when I tried to install it alongside Windows, it automatically selected one of my HDDs instead of my SSD where Windows is installed. This confused me, so I did it manually.

In Windows I created a partition on my SSD, figured out which one it was in the linux installer and installed Ubuntu onto my SSD partition, however my PC always booted straight into Windows. I changed my boot order from my SSD directly, to my HDD with the windows boot manager, but that still just booted straight into Windows.

Annoyingly I couldn't see the Ubuntu/GRUB manager in my BIOS list either to use that. The only way I could boot into Ubuntu was to go into my BIOS and manually boot into Ubuntu directly from there.

I've looked into moving my EFI partition to the same drive as Windows, but it seems like a pretty risky job. I also saw there was GRUB2 for Windows but I don't know anyone who's used it. I'm wondering if anyone has a bit of a steer on where I should try taking this - preferably as safely as possible. Can the Windows Installer shuffle the boot loader onto the correct drive without risk of me completely corking it up?

Associate
OP
Okay so I managed to get Ubuntu installed, had to select to whole secondary drive as the boot drive, but the SSD as the storage... I'll probably have to install it again soon if I get a new Nvme too :cry:

Back
Top Bottom