Dual citizenship - would you?

Soldato
After an interesting bit of banter at work today, which ended up in googling some fact checking, I've found out that I'm actually eligible to apply for Dutch citizenship, as my mum is a citizen (and was when I was born).

Given the impending Brexit, and thinking it would be quite handy to maintain my EU status, I'm now seriously considering this (given the minimal amount of research I've done in the last hour or so, obviously I will fully read into the implications).

So... for anyone who has UK and another nationality - what are the benefits/downsides (other than the cost of the application)?

Associate
My Grandpa on my Dad's side is Irish so i qualify.
I would do it if i had any reason to but i don't.
It's probably mostly benefits, can't think of any downsides.

Soldato
Yes I am. Aside from my British Passport, I also have Australian citizenship.

I am also an Overseas Citizen of India thanks to my wife.

The Indian OCI is only a bonus in respect of allowing me to enter and stay in India for as long as I want.

No downside that I can see apart from mixing it up with the US which has some tough taxation rules.

Soldato
i remember when the brexit vote and everyone started panic applying for irish passports, i still haven't got round to doing it but plan to soon, doesn't seem to be any downsides at least for that particular combo.

Don
Will be starting the process to get Polish citizenship soon. My son has dual Polish/UK citizenship already. The Mrs is going for UK citizenship (although we've hit a roadblock with that at the moment) while I go for Polish. That way all three of us will be dual Polish/UK.

Soldato
God I wish I could get an EU citizenship - make my planned travels around the EU a lot easier - I think I'm 1/16th Irish so I doubt I can get it - need to find me and marry a nice EU girl ! lol.

Stupid stupid stuuuuppid brexit, dumb idea, need to figure out a way of keeping useful things like, HUMAN RIGHTS! - yayy !! and FREEDOM TO TRAVEL - yayyy!, health benefits - yayyy!!

Back
Top Bottom