Dual Mass Flywheel

Associate
Have a horrible feeling my Audi is about to cost me some money!

Got a 2013 2.0 TDI Audi A6 Avant which is starting to judder when pulling away in first gear quite often when cold. A quick google tells me this is probably the dual mass flywheel on it's way out?

Has anyone had to have this done themselves recently? Just after a rough idea of what I may have to spend and if it would be advisable to replace the clutch at the same time whilst they are in there?

Thanks all

Soldato
Are you sure it's that?

Not completely uncommon for a clutch to bounce like that, particularly when cold.

Does it on and off on my mitsubishi, done it for as long as I can remember.

Man of Honour
I had the clutch and dual mass flyweel replaced in my 2009 petrol Golf about two or three years ago for around £800 or £900 I seem to recall (indy garage). Definitely get them both replaced at the same time.

Associate
Probably useless but years ago my 07 Corsa started to judder, which i ignored because i was a student. On the m56 it committed suicide and i ended up needing a new clutch and flywheel and cost about £750 at a local indie.

Soldato
I had the same thing on my 320d. Only ever had an issue with it juddering in 1st gear. Anything over that was fine with no issues at all, no weird noises or anything. I got the clutch and DMF done and apparently the clutch was ok but the DMF was indeed knackered. I had both done since it’s pointless not to given how it’s all apart anyway and how cheap the clutch itself is.

Associate
Audi do fixed prices but they're not cheap. If it's a quattro it's even more. I think £1050 just clutch no flywheel from Audi!! I just did my MK1 TT with a new clutch, DMF, concentric slave for about £350 but then, other than a lift, I've got all the tools. It was a little bit of a pig to do!

Associate
Have a horrible feeling my Audi is about to cost me some money!

Got a 2013 2.0 TDI Audi A6 Avant which is starting to judder when pulling away in first gear quite often when cold. A quick google tells me this is probably the dual mass flywheel on it's way out?

Has anyone had to have this done themselves recently? Just after a rough idea of what I may have to spend and if it would be advisable to replace the clutch at the same time whilst they are in there?

Thanks all

I don't know how similar things are between brands but our 2nd car (Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 CDTi) developed a loud knocking sound a year ago (no juddering or anything like that ) and it turned out to be DMF (apparently only lasts around 60K or less) .Cost me £1300 with a clutch kit done as well .I'm no expert but juddering could be due to multiple reasons .If you have a garage you trust not to rip you off take it in and let them test drive it .Better safe than sorry imho ,not fun being broken down somewhere . :)

Associate
I replaced mine on an A4 3.0 TDI quattro, parts were about £550, but I did have to get them from ebay Italy. Both LUK DMF and clutch.
A bit of juddering can be quite common on Audi's, they've tried a "software fix" where the idle picks up a bit when you press the clutch in 1st gear without touching the accelerator pedal. Even after replacing, mine occasionally judders a little bit when cold, Audi features haha.
Mine was absolutely shot and I wanted a remap anyway - the best "test" is trying to reverse up an incline with a warm engine/gearbox - it felt like the whole car is about to shatter.

Back
Top Bottom