Dual monitor options

mog

mog

Associate
Greetings,

My current PC has served me really well for something like 10 years, but I think it's time to build a new one for better performance and dual monitor support. I was hoping for some advise about how best to achieve this please...

From what I understand, there are two common ways to do this:
  • Single, high performance graphics card, capable of running 2 monitors simultaneously.
  • Two, medium performance cards, independently supporting 1 monitor each.
Which is the most common method please? Or is there another method that I'm not aware of?

Considerations so far:

I think the single card might work out cheaper compared to getting two cards. It likely would draw less power, and generate less heat when idle. Plus take up less space.

On the other hand, maybe the single card would struggle to render a game with fancy graphics and HD video on the 2nd monitor at the same time? Plus, if one card fails, I can still use my PC with one monitor whilst I organise a replacement. Also, two cards running a monitor each might be less noisy (maybe)?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
mog

Running two monitors isn't demanding, you can do it off modern integrated graphics if your motherboard has enough outputs.

What GPU to get only depends on the resolution and refresh rate you will be playing games at

Back
Top Bottom