Dual Monitors - Programs/Windows Move To Single Screen on Wake

Soldato
Hi all,

I struggled to find a thread dedicated to solving this but I did read in another thread I'm not the only one who experiences this issue. I am running Windows 10 on my nearly-new PC (see sig).

Quite simply, I use two screens, both MSI G273QF. When I lock the computer and leave it for a short while, the programs move to the primary monitor when I log back in.

This wasn't an issue when I was running two electriQ monitors.

I have tried:
1. Uninstalling all greyed-out monitors on Device Manager
2. Updating monitor drivers manually
3. Adjusted both monitors to the same settings using monitor navigation
4. Checked they are identically set up on GeForce Control Panel

Still no joy. When I log back in to Windows all my programs are shifted to the primary monitor. The secondary monitor shows only a background. I have installed all Windows updates and just can't figure out why it's acting differently now. The only difference I can think of (relevant) software changes since the previous monitors is switching the GeForce drivers from Studio to Gaming.

Soldato
OP
I've been faffing on with the monitor menu and there doesn't seem to be any options that would affect this. Also tried changing the power setting in Windows to turn off screens after 2 hours. Came back within an hour and the same issue repeats itself.

Soldato
I have three monitors and do not currently see this.

Go into Device Manager and Under View make sure Show Hidden Devices is enabled and see if you see anything of interest. Does it think the Electriq monitors are still there? Have you installed the drivers (.inf files) for your new monitors?

Does the problem manifest if you disable screen lock but enable sleep? That is, everything should awaken with a nudge of the mouse.

Soldato
OP
Turn the monitors off and on - everything moves to primary display.
Allow Windows to sleep without locking PC - everything moves to primary display.

Soldato
OP
The only options left tend to include going into the registry but they all start with "backup first". Not sure I want to risk something that needs a backup restored, or spend the time doing all of that.

Is it easy enough to make a backup and navigate the registry?

Soldato
This happens to me but I assumed it was due to using two different DP monitors, with one of them waking quicker than the other. When I had the same monitors since both woke up at the same time I didn't see this issue.

The main cause is due to Window's Rapid Hot Plug Detect: https://www.pcmag.com/news/microsoft-fixes-a-very-annoying-windows-10-application-layout-bug

There is a fix in the 10 insider build but it seems to be pushed for Windows 11 instead.

Seeing as both your monitors are the same, have you made sure any power settings on the monitors themselves match each other?

Soldato
OP
Update on my issue: Now when I boot the PC, screen 2 (primary display) shows with 800x600 resolution. I have had to unplug and plug in again twice now and I don't know why it would do that.

Soldato
OP
Clean install of latest Nvidia driver and everything seems OK... Log in after a while of inactivity and everything is where I left it.

Could it be that the drivers associate with the monitors somehow? I last updated drivers with single electriQ monitor plugged in.

Soldato
OP
This has become an issue again.. when the monitors go into standby/power save mode, all programs move to one screen on wake.

Any dual monitor users here that have the same issue?

Don
After monitoring the Win11 thread I've been holding off upgrading as it doesn't seem worth it overall. Might have to just go for it then.
You could try FancyZones (part of Windows PowerToys), it might help in restoring apps back to where you want them

Soldato
OP
You could try FancyZones (part of Windows PowerToys), it might help in restoring apps back to where you want them

I'm using FancyZones but it doesn't stop everything moving to one screen when PC wakes unfortunately.

Soldato
There won't be a native fix for W10 since the fix was rolled into W11 instead. A shame since it was actually was planned for 10, only for 11 to be announced and released a short while after https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/avoid-unexpected-app-rearrangement/

EDIT: Oh I just noticed this thread was back in 2021... I even replied to it back then :p

I haven't updated to W11 yet myself, just waiting on the taskbar updates that's due later this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom