Dual Pumps D5: benefits

Associate
Hi all, slightly noob question coming up. From reading up on the Single vs Double D5 pumps, there are various views as to:

1. whether pump redundacy is a real consideration or not (single pump failure vs additonal points of failure in the additional loop connections of a dual pump system)
  2. whether an increased flow rate is actually worth it, due to apparent negligable cooling benefits this brings to the cooling ability of the loop
  3. the running speed of a single vs double, insofar as noise generation is concerned, when considering fans noise also (ie this may only be a noticable benefit if your system also runs quiet fans)

One aspect that is generally accepted as a genuine benefit is being able to run the loop at a lower speed for the same flow rate and pressure, and this therefore translating into a quieter system. Is this reduction in noise a genuine / practical / tangible benefit?

Seems to be a lot of cost and complexity for this privilege. Am speccing a sytem that aims to run cool, and quiet. So curious as to what the lay of the land is.

Any view here on this?

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
OK so I'm thinking I should go single D5 on a loop with 1x cpu, 1xgpu, and 3x360 rads. Yes there'll be some 90 degrees and 45 degrees fitting in there but it's not an "unorthodox" loop or massivley extensive. I want the sytewm to be near silent, which the D5s apparently are, and I can live without pump redundancy.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’ve seen a fair few builds with dual pumps in series in a loop, with a dedicated reservoir located somewhere on the loop.

But, has anyone tried to put dual pump/reservoir combo units in series on the same loop, by any chance?

Is this a mad idea? Would this add resistance vs dual pumps and a reservoir? Would it create any other issues?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ah cool, thanks. Just out of interest, why did you build it that way?

My reasoning for even thinking about it is that I’m interested in flat reservoirs, and I noticed there a basically none with dual pumps as far as I can see, so I got thinking about it, and it sort of sounded like it could be quite a fun and interesting take on a build.

Obviously there are dual pump cylindrical types out there. And there are one or two specific distro plates with dual pumps if I recall correctly, but they’re big and case specific.

Back
Top Bottom