Dumb monitor question from an old timer!!

Associate
Hi chaps, been many, many years since I was bang into PCs....used to build them like crazy and frequent here all the time. I'm an old man now and know jack-**** apparently :)

After a good 12 year run my old Iiyama 27" TN monitor gave up the ghost (vertical blue line), so I bit the bullet and have just ordered and received an IPS 27" Iiyama (G2770HSU-B1)

My eyes aren't great nowadays, and I happily run (Lenovo Tiny PC, Win10) at a resolution of 1152 x 864.

Both the new monitor and the old monitor have a recommended resolution of 1920 x 1080.

I was just expecting to plug in the HDMI and juice to the new monitor, and as Windows was pushing out the resolution of 1152 x 864 (in display settings), expected it to look exactly the same.

I don't know if I'm missing a setting (PITA menu) on the new monitor, but simply can't get it to look the same. The new monitor shows 'display information 1920 x 1080 60Hz'...but I can't change this. I'm only using about 2/3 of the screen area and it's very out of sorts.

Am I missing something here chaps? Surely it's possible to run both new and old monitors to look the same?

I'd appreciate an help hugely.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
I was just expecting to plug in the HDMI and juice to the new monitor, and as Windows was pushing out the resolution of 1152 x 864 (in display settings), expected it to look exactly the same.

I don't know if I'm missing a setting (PITA menu) on the new monitor, but simply can't get it to look the same. The new monitor shows 'display information 1920 x 1080 60Hz'...but I can't change this. I'm only using about 2/3 of the screen area and it's very out of sorts.

Am I missing something here chaps? Surely it's possible to run both new and old monitors to look the same?

I'd appreciate an help hugely.

Thanks.
Monitors call this interpolation, I think you can probably change the behaviour (in regards to stretching and the aspect ratio) both in your drivers and with the monitor OSD. You could try Video Mode Adjust and switch between Full, Aspect and 17 or 19.

If you have an nvidia driver, try these:

Associate
Your giving me ptsd of working in offices and people would run 640*480 on the 17" crts, run it at native resolution and play with the scaling and layout setting in display settings.

Associate
OP
Well, after much mucking around and fighting the worst menu system EVER I've managed to resolve this..... thanks for the replies. As advised, I ended up having to use the Intel Graphics Command Centre and STRETCH the 1152 x 864 output. It fills the screen and looks very similar....HOWEVER....... what a bag-o-***** IPS is compared to my old TN..... very harsh and the backlight bleed, dark screen edges and uneven colouration is shocking. I just can't possibly see how they are meant to be an 'upgrade' from TN. It'll have to do for now until I can look into an OLED.

Soldato
Intel Graphics Command Center
  1. Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • From the Windows Start Menu, search for Intel Graphics Command Center. Double click the Intel® Graphics Command Center icon to open the application.
  2. Click Display in the left navigational menu.
  3. In the General tab, go to the Resolution section. Click the dropdown menu and select a resolution size from the list.
  4. A question appears asking if you want to keep these changes. Once you have the resolution you want, click Yes to confirm your selection.
Never used this "Intel Graphics Command Center", but this seems the correct way to alter the resolution.

I take it you do not a Nvidia or AMD GPU?

If you do, it will probably be best done through their software.

Soldato
My eyes aren't great nowadays, and I happily run (Lenovo Tiny PC, Win10) at a resolution of 1152 x 864.

Both the new monitor and the old monitor have a recommended resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Rather than change the resolution you should keep to 1080p and adjust Windows' scaling. Try 150%

HOWEVER....... what a bag-o-***** IPS is compared to my old TN..... very harsh and the backlight bleed, dark screen edges and uneven colouration is shocking.

It sounds like you have the brightness or contrast set way up. Push them down to 50% or less.

If you're still having problems, try getting yourself a 4k non-gaming monitor like the Lenovo L28u (28") or L32p (32") and setting the scaling to 200%. The high resolution will make non-bitmapped text look much nicer.

Associate
OP
Intel Graphics Command Center
  1. Open the Intel Graphics Command Center
    • From the Windows Start Menu, search for Intel Graphics Command Center. Double click the Intel® Graphics Command Center icon to open the application.
  2. Click Display in the left navigational menu.
  3. In the General tab, go to the Resolution section. Click the dropdown menu and select a resolution size from the list.
  4. A question appears asking if you want to keep these changes. Once you have the resolution you want, click Yes to confirm your selection.
Never used this "Intel Graphics Command Center", but this seems the correct way to alter the resolution.

I take it you do not a Nvidia or AMD GPU?

If you do, it will probably be best done through their software.
There's no resolution option on that screen. I'm probably very limited....this isn't a high-end GPU....long gone those days I'm afraid..... I now just run a Lenovo Tiny M720Q MFF machine....with an onboard Intel UHD Graphics 630 chip.

Associate
OP
Rather than change the resolution you should keep to 1080p and adjust Windows' scaling. Try 150%

It sounds like you have the brightness or contrast set way up. Push them down to 50% or less.

If you're still having problems, try getting yourself a 4k non-gaming monitor like the Lenovo L28u (28") or L32p (32") and setting the scaling to 200%. The high resolution will make non-bitmapped text look much nicer.
Already both at 25% and 30% respectively. I'll look into that Lenovo, as a non-gamer all i do is surf and YouTube and a bit of general office. so text clarity is very important to me....this new IPS I'm looking at makes me feel ****** looking at it...very strange 'image' - very cartoonlike and 'false' feeling, and like looking out of a tunnel with the darker outer. HATE IT!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom