Dumbell workout?

Soldato
I have a small dumbell set and I'm currently trying to lose some weight.

I know diet is the most important thing; I can work on that one myself.

But I'm just wondering if someone could please plan out a dumbell routine for me? On Monday, Weds and a Friday?

I have no idea when it comes to muscle groups/exercises etc.

Cheers

If you plan on losing weight, then you need a good diet. This can be helped by exercise.

As you're on dumbells you're limited (obviously), but CocCcola's linked routine isn't too bad as a starting point: there are a lot of pointless exercises in it from a weightloss perspective (i.e. they work very small muscle groups), such as calves (wth?), but with the bulk of it stripped out, it would be a useful starting point.

Now weightloss isn't my particular thing, but essentially:

Monday:

1) Goblet squats;
1) Overhead dumbell press;
2) Reverse lunges;
2) Chin-ups;
- Planks (start with 30s, build to a minute).

Wednesday:

1) Single-leg deadlifts (lol);
1) Dumbell row;
2) Dumbell step-ups;
2) Dumbell chest press;
- Side planks (start with 30s, build to a minute);

Friday:

1) Rear-foot elevated squats;
1) Pull-ups;
2) Goblet squats;
2) Push-ups;
- Weighted deadbugs.

I would do this in supersets (1 and 2), with reps around 12-16, depending on the weights of your dumbells, with 4 cuircuits. If you aren't exhausted after each workout, you aren't working hard enough. :D

Why is there a huge amount of leg work? Because those are your biggest muscles and will burn the most fuel (i.e. flab). They also increase the production of testosterone, which is a good thing (drives muscular development): don't worry, you won't turn into Arnie overnight or in the long term, but you should firm up nicely.

This routine is based on weights only. You could include some cardio if you wish, but if you work hard enough with the routine above, you should get where you want to be, anyway, if you hav an appropriate diet.

So, questions for you:

- What is your diet currently like?
- What are you willing to accept in terms of diet modification?
- How much time to you hvae to workout?
- Body stats?
- History of injuries/predispositions, etc.

Thanks, I'll get this started.

My diet at the moment is poor, but I'm well aware of what I need to adjust in it. Basically just cutting out all the usual crap and junk food that I eat on a daily basis.

I will adjust as much as I need to, but I get hungry very easily so don't want to feel like I'm starving myself.

I have upto 2 hours to work out.

Don't know body stats at the moment.

N/A.

Cheers :)

Can you please just explain what this part means exactly

I would do this in supersets (1 and 2), with reps around 12-16, depending on the weights of your dumbells, with 4 cuircuits.

I don't get what the supersets/cuircits thing means.

Cheers

Super sets are one pair of exercises done straight after each other, whereas circuits are a group.

So you are going to go from 16 goblet squats straight into 16 overhead presses but only rest for 60-90 seconds before starting the 16 reverse lunges straight into the chin-ups.

Then you'll rest for 60-90 seconds and repeat circuit 3 more times. :)

Make sense?

Cheers, I think I've got it. So in total I'll be doing every exercise 4 times?

Cheers

Wow, I look and see that this thread is over a month old and if I'm honest, I haven't committed at all.

I want to, I really do. I hate myself and I hate my weight at the moment, but I just don't do anything about it.

How can I commit? Do I just stop being fat and lazy and just force myself to do it?

When I come home from work at 7, I'm usually drained and have no energy and the last thing I feel like doing is picking up weights. How can I get over this?

rear-foot elevated squats, I don't have anything to do these with. Which exercise should I replace it with?

Also I'm still confused with the super set thing, so I do for example on Monday:

A set of goblet squats and then straight into overhead dumbell press, rest for 60 seconds then do a set of reverse lunges then chinups... rinse repeat?

Cheers

With the routine, on the off days, is it possible that I could throw in some arm exercises aswell? If so, which ones should I do?

Cheers

You could, but there won't be any point, assuming you want to lose weight because the muscles involved are comparatively small and don't burn through many calories of energy.

Secondly, to lose weight you should be on a cut (i.e. calorie deficit), which means your body should not have enough fuel for statistically significant growth anyway, therefore the objective of getting bigger biceps/triceps/shoulders through anything other than increased vascular perfusion will be missed completely. :)

Are you disappointed you're not doing biceps curlz, tricep kick-backs/skull crushers and lateral raises?

Makes sense, thanks.

In relation to your last question, I guess so, because I've done them before and I did actually enjoy doing them, but if it isn't going to be beneficial then I suppose their isn't a point.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom