Dumbest news quote ever?

Caporegime
Arriving at Port Talbot Parkway, passenger Auriel Griffiths from Cimla, Neath Port Talbot, said: "It was a bit of an experience really… thank God the train didn't turn over."

Upon hearing the train she was on killed 2 men and injured another.

Killing 2 men is a bit of an experience really, also wasn't aware trains turning over was a likely outcome!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48854010

Can we throw this Auriel under a train please and maybe spare a railway worker?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
Saw this as well and thought it was an odd thing to quote.

Must be terrible for the driver though.
I can imagine it is bad enough if someone jumps in front of the train intentionally, but when this happens and it is potentially workers you know, knowing there is nothing you can do, such as swerve.
Very sad for everyone involved.

Associate
If your going to quote someone atleast quote all they said.

Arriving at Port Talbot Parkway, passenger Auriel Griffiths from Cimla, Neath Port Talbot, said: "It was a bit of an experience really… thank God the train didn't turn over."

She had been travelling to visit a relative in hospital when the incident happened.

She said staff on the train had been "very good". "They kept coming along and giving us information, coffee and water," she said.

Describing the moment the train came to a standstill, she said: "It just sort of stopped. I didn't feel a bang or anything…

"People got killed, that's worse than being inconvenienced isn't it… I feel upset about it."

The idea that the train could have turned over is a little over dramatic but not to the extent that she should be murdered.

If your going for thoughtless quotes maybe the one by UK Transport Secretary Chris Grayling when he said :
There would be an investigation into how the accident happened, adding: "I will ensure lessons are learned"
This just just three months after a warning just three month early saying that there were "too many near misses in which railway workers have had to jump for their lives". His words could not have been more empty.

Capodecina
Soldato
Fairly typical 24/7 news cycle behaviour, when there is nothing of value to report, get absolutely any quote at all from someone remotely involved.

A far more interesting perspective would be "Why on earth were workers on a railway line wearing hearing protectors?"

Soldato
Upon hearing the train she was on killed 2 men and injured another.

Killing 2 men is a bit of an experience really, also wasn't aware trains turning over was a likely outcome!

Surely the following sentence of "it's even worse than 3 hours on the train isn't it ?" (she says it in the video) when she was speaking of the 2 dead is an even more dumb statement ?

Of course getting hit by a train and dying is worse than sitting 3 hours on said murderous train :mad:

Caporegime
OP
Surely the following sentence of "it's even worse than 3 hours on the train isn't it ?" (she says it in the video) when she was speaking of the 2 dead is an even more dumb statement ?

Of course getting hit by a train and dying is worse than sitting 3 hours on said murderous train :mad:

It's...mind blowing tbh! You're right in that that may well be an even worse statement.

Transmission breaker
Don
People in shock or who have experienced something traumatic often say odd things afterwards.
Facing news cameras also can get the better of people who dont quite know how to process what they have experienced.

Man of Honour
Health & safety rules probably caused their deaths, had they not been wearing ear defenders they would have heard the frantic horn of the engine driver

If thats the case then there's usually a lookout who's meant to tap the others on the shoulder when a train is approaching. Let the RAIB investigation finish before speculating what could be the cause.

Soldato
Fairly typical 24/7 news cycle behaviour, when there is nothing of value to report, get absolutely any quote at all from someone remotely involved.

A far more interesting perspective would be "Why on earth were workers on a railway line wearing hearing protectors?"

Because they were probably packing sleepers with power tools, a touch lookout is required when doing so probably the other guy who was the lookout.

Man of Honour
Funny you mention this OP because this headline, currently on the beeb, caused me to have a double take:

mKRtKqb.jpg

I mean.... d’ya think?!

Soldato
Funny you mention this OP because this headline, currently on the beeb, caused me to have a double take:

mKRtKqb.jpg

I mean.... d’ya think?!

A direct qoute implying that not hearing the train was the main cause of the accident, as opposed to the workers being incapacitated, or negligent, or the train driver acting inappropriately for instance. Do people really need the subtext spelling out for them? Learn to read between the lines.

Caporegime
OP
Implying that not hearing the train was the main cause of the accident, as opposed to the workers being incapacitated, or negligent, or the train driver acting inappropriately for instance. Do people really need the subtext spelling out for them? Learn to read between the lines.

How would the train driver of a high speed passenger train sneak up on 3 men?

Back
Top Bottom