Dying Shuttle... advice needed for transplant

Associate
Ok, it's an SN41G2, and the PSU is dying: it's doing the classic "takes half an hour to turn on and won't shut down" thing. Have just tested an ancient 300w PSU and it works fine with that.

So here I am with a 3 year old PC that's failing, while being surrounded by ancient Athlons and Celerons that are still working just fine, and doing a quieter job of it too.

While I could replace the PSU (a 250w Achime) with one of the newer 300w SilentX models I'm not paying 60 quid for one that'll likely die in the next couple of years and which'll be, from what I've read, noisier than this one.

Enough Shuttle for me (I'll put this one next to the dead SV24 I still can't get working). So the question is: what next? I'd love a full system upgrade but can't justify the money I'd want to spend on something desirable.

So I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile buying a case with a chunky PSU that'll fit whatever strange mobo form factor is used in the SN41G2. A transplant, basically... to something bigger, cooler and quieter, with a better PSU. Small is good but I'm no longer worried about saving space if bigger is better (because it's quieter, cooler.. .all that. )

Any ideas from the OC range?

ALienBC

Associate
OP
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about :)

As I understand it the SN41G2 uses the Shuttle FN41 motherboard, which is micro ATX form factor. So it ought to fit in something like the OCUK Aspire X-Qpack... probably not the quietest or best-built option but at least the PSU would be up to the job (I assume). A few of the other OCUK value cases seem to support mATX too. I'm just wondering if ATX cases generally do, or if I need to be careful here...

I suppose another option is to ditch the motherboard, but as I'm running a Barton, AGP card and PATA drives I find there aren't all that many options these days. Harrumph :)

Associate
OP
Oh ok, thanks for that. So now all I need to do is, er.. count the holes and compare their positions, or something. Well I'm getting closer anyway :)

Associate
OP
Ta - I've mailed you. In the meantime, praps you could tell me if you think the SilentX is worth it?

Looks like Shuttle has its own form factor.... typical.

Back
Top Bottom