E-commerce for B2B?

Soldato
This is a slight cross-post with this thread, but hopefully the people who frequent this particular sub-forum might know a little more about the e-commerce aspect of my question.

The short version of the story is I need to try and source a website/e-commerce site for a business which deals primarily with B2B sales. The main criteria of that being that pricing of the products displayed on the website needs to be hidden unless a particular customer logs in.

So far I've been looking into things like Magento and a few others, but unless I'm not looking in the right places it seems that hiding the pricing isn't an easily-achievable thing. Magento, for example, seems to require the purchase of a third-party module to incorporate such a feature into the store.

So, what I'm looking for is a reasonably basic e-commerce website template which can be built/updated by someone with little technical know-how and that offers the ability to hide the pricing of the products on display until a customer logs in.

Obviously the customer in question will need to be set-up on the back-end of the website, so this process needs to be relatively simple as well.

Any ideas, chaps?

I believe this could be done using cookies and a little scripting - so if the user has logged in, then it will display that part of the site.

However, if you were looking into running it alongside an ecommerce site then you could use a pre-existing platform such as WordPress with a few additional plugins installed. There are several paid plugins out there that allow you to restrict page or content access. This alongside a ecommerce plugin would work and would probably work out cheaper than designing something bespoke.

I've been doing research into a similar website for a client of mine who runs a private club but also wants to sell things on the website (to members only). Best thing I've found so far for his budget is what I talked about above.

WordPress certainly piques my interest. That ought to be relatively simple to install on his current hosting package and should, in theory at least, be simple enough to let him build and manage the site itself.

Do you happen to know how simple it is to get WordPress doing what you suggest is possible?

I've seen a few interesting WordPress e-commerce/retail templates which fit the bill, but they all show pricing by default. Could you add a plug-in to these in order to hide pricing or are we talking something that is customised from the ground up?

Well what I've been mainly looking into is membership management plugins and have found a nice one that costs £95+ VAT. With this you can hide certain parts of content on a page if they are not a member, and reveal if they are.

I haven't used the system before, as this is just a bit of preliminary research before my meeting with the client this afternoon. If you want , I can let you know how it goes?

I could write a site in.net for you ;)

I'm doing something similar for my girlfiend at the moment - she's got a wedding business and wants to offer reduced prices/offers for members.

I'm not sure if membership management is exactly what I'm after, but I'd still appreciate your thoughts on the process as a whole.

It's not so much that I want to hide certain parts of the website from customers, more that I want the prices to be hidden unless the person viewing the website has logged in.

I'm sure it's entirely possible, with the right theme and/or plug-in, but I need to find a nice simple solution that ticks all the right boxes and doesn't require a complicated customised approach.

Sorry I think I confused you a little.

With membership management you can have different levels of membership. If they have not logged in or signed up, the prices will be hidden, until they become a member with the permissions to then see the prices.

With membership management you can have different levels of membership. If they have not logged in or signed up, the prices will be hidden, until they become a member with the permissions to then see the prices.
Ah, now that's more like it. I'll definitely be interested to see where you go with your own little project.

nopCommerce.com
That looks far too complicated already. I should probably state for the record that any site that gets put in place needs to be able to be managed by people who don't know how to use a computer very well.

Well the meeting hasn't happened yet, his car broke down yesterday and today it was getting fixed so I will let you know after I actually have this damn meeting! or should I say IF??

Back
Top Bottom