I'll use James here as an example. Start e-mail:

James,

Blah blah blah blah

as opposed to:

Hi James,

blah blah blah

Hello James,

blah blah blah

The former is really grating me these days on internal comms. It feels far too authoritative. Some customers do it also, but never suppliers.

Anyone else bothered by this?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
OP
I applaud your content-focus. If I were busier I may not notice it as much

I am definitely one of the more anal people with things like this (exacerbated from a history of teaching international business communication abroad), but when I see the same daily culprits then e-mail a customer in the politer tone... its time to make threads.

Associate
Well at least they have the sense to address the customers properly.

Personally, I see e-mails between friends / colleagues as more like a conversation. Starts off with 'Hi James', then subsequent e-mails have no salutations.

But yeah, just the person's name is a bit short for me

Soldato
Wouldn't see this as authoritative without seeing the context of the message. Depends on the person though, there are a few I know who would actively do this under the assumption that they have authority over me and that would likely wind me up but it's more their attitude than the act itself.

Soldato
I find it a bit too ambiguous and I don't like it. It comes across as curt to me.

I always prefix the name with something to set the tone. Hey, hi, dear...

After the first email I'll often drop that line alltogether and get straight to the message as you're effectively already in a conversation with them.

Soldato
Wow. I'm shocked anyone cares. At my current place - and in fact most of my jobs - one tends to focus on getting things done, quickly. Often emails won't even address anyone, or be signed, especially when replying to all as part of a previous thread. i.e.

----------------------
Yeah sure, I'll get that done now.
----------------------

When you send and receive a lot of email, comms speed and content tends to be the focus to be productive. Not the way someone addresses you.

The only thing I draw the line on - which my old boss was terrible for - are people that try to shorten sentences by putting a kind of short hand in to the point where it barely makes sense and is hard to follow. A bit like a posher version of text speak. Same for business acronyms which might be new to a recipient. Wastes time using them when you have to explain them via further emails.

Soldato
I find it odd if there's no salutation before the name. Some people in the business and almost all the law firms we use do it, and it does grate me a bit.

to jaybee's point above - I have no problem with someone not including anything and getting straight to the message, that's fine. It's when the name is used without anything prefacing it, that I find a bit odd.

Soldato
I've recently switched team at work and the new once hardly use email at all. So frustrating. You sent them information in an email, which they don't read and just keep coming over and asking you the same question. A few weeks later the same thing again. All because they won't use email properly. For a while I just printed out the email and would hand out copies when they asked me a question. Now I can hear them asking each other the same questions over and over, I just have to put the headphones on and tune out. This is a IT Development team, all techies. TBH I think its a programmer snobbery thing. Email is beneath them.

Back
Top Bottom