• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E4300, ASUS P5B overclocking - beginner

Associate
Hi

I just upgraded to this lot last week

Asus P5B i965
Intel E4300 Core2Duo CPU - Stock cooler
Corsair TwinX 1GB DDR2 6400 (800mhz) CAS 5-5-5-15
500G WD SATA2 Hard drive

I was wondering a couple of things that I cant seem to find searching the forums.

1...Whats the easiest way to get a reasonable overclock (say 2.7ghz) without do anything complicated? I dont want a massive overclock, and so far I simply raised the fsb to 266 which has given me a 2.4ghz clock. I raised it to 300 which gave me 2.7 but when I put full load on pc my cpu temp raised to the high 60's

2...Whats a acceptable cpu temp for full load? At the moment Im looking at mid 60s full load and 43c idle for 2.7ghz. Ive read people on these forums getting 20-30's on idle with stock, how is this poss?

As I said Im only after a steady 2.7 maybe 3ghz if poss without raising voltages etc, just fsb

Last edited:
Associate
Hi there,
What Heat Sink and Fan are you using ?

I aim at keeping temps below 60 on air.
The first thing to check with your board is the value of the VCore.
If you leave the P5b at AUTO for VCore then it tends to give the CPU more volts than required which, in turn, will generate more heat underload.
Best way is to use Asus PC Probe to get the current value of VCore at the desirred overclock you want, and then start dropping VCore and checking stability with Orthos Large FFT's.

Soldato
eonone said:
2...What's an acceptable cpu temp for full load?

Kaiju said:
Tcase/Tjunction

--70--/--85--85-- Shutdown
--65--/--80--80-- Throttle
--60--/--75--75-- Hot
--55--/--70--70-- Warm
--50--/--65--65-- N
--45--/--60--60-- O
--40--/--55--55-- R
--35--/--50--50-- M
--30--/--45--45-- A
--25--/--40--40-- L

Mid 70's is the max i'd hit as you don't know how hot your room temps will be, especially with Summer coming along.

Soldato
eonone said:
I've read people on these forums getting 20-30's on idle with stock, how is this poss?

If they have left the power saving functions enabled, then their CPU's will fall back to a 6x multiplier (1200MHz for your CPU) and a very low voltage (maybe as low as 1.1V) so very low CPU idle temperatures are possible in a cool room.

eonone said:
As I said Im only after a steady 2.7 maybe 3ghz if poss without raising voltages etc, just fsb

That's "only" a 50-65% overclock! Sensibly, you're not going to do that without some tweaking, no matter what people would have you believe.

Back
Top Bottom