E46 330ci vs M3

Soldato
I want forum entertainment, I want fire and tears, I want told you so's and arguments, THIS IS MOTORS.

Buy the M3.

That made more sense.

Forget about an M3 for £6-8k though. £6-7k is well and truly "good 330ci" money rather than M3 money.

Although the M3 is obviously a better car and more exciting, a 330ci is far from boring or rubbish. The 3 litre straight 6 in mine still makes me smile and it doesn't cost me nearly as much as an M3 to maintain.

Soldato
OP
I would definatly avoid an M3 if you fancy going side ways for extended periods anyway.
Sure they are superb at it but would be rather pricey on petrol and tyres, and if you ended up busting engine or diff mounts then it would most definatly be sobbing time.

If you want something fast that sounds great and fun for the occasional empty damp roundabout drift (y0) then save a few grand more and buy the M3 as no doubt it will feel more special.

Nah, I am looking at a second car, a banger 325 (i've seen some going for around £500, although not seen them in the flesh) with rock hard suspension works fine for drifting, I know, I was in one this weekend going more sideways than I would have thought possible.

Vis-a-vis my car history - Well I've just had my licence a year, I have 1 years NCB and currently drive a 2001 focus 1.6 :D

Associate
A 100bhp 1.6 Ford Focus to a 343bhp 3.2l BMW M3 with a year of driving experience.

What could go wrong?!

This. You will bin it, as you have suggested.

The E46 M3 is a wonderful car, but it is not a car for the inexperienced driver. Insurance will be crippling, and running costs can be very high if you get a bad one, which you might at the bottom end of the market.

Someone suggested an ST220, which falls roughly half way between your current car and an M3 (power wise). I'd consider that before making a decision, having moved from a 200BHP Mondeo to a 200BHP BMW.

Permabanned
This. You will bin it, as you have suggested.

The E46 M3 is a wonderful car, but it is not a car for the inexperienced driver. Insurance will be crippling, and running costs can be very high if you get a bad one, which you might at the bottom end of the market.

Someone suggested an ST220, which falls roughly half way between your current car and an M3 (power wise). I'd consider that before making a decision, having moved from a 200BHP Mondeo to a 200BHP BMW.

Ridiculous

Permabanned
9.5k for the world's most boring (and easily dirtied) interior colour and no nav?

I love how the ad says 'excellent spec' and then goes on to list the standard features of a 330ci and no actual extra options. ;)

Disagree about the interior though, nowhere near as boring as black which unfortunately all my e46s have been.

Associate
the 70% and 30% thing is generally used quite a lot by people who haven't had the pleasure to run a regular 3 series and then an M car side by side.

Different engine, LSD, suspension, brakes, steering rack, panels ..... dials, gearknob!

Man of Honour
I love how the ad says 'excellent spec' and then goes on to list the standard features of a 330ci and no actual extra options. ;)

Disagree about the interior though, nowhere near as boring as black which unfortunately all my e46s have been.

Don't you think light grey is so bland though? At least all black looks slick, grey just looks like someone specced with half an eye when picking colours and when the grey fades it goes yellowish ad looks horrible.

Soldato
Don't you think light grey is so bland though? At least all black looks slick, grey just looks like someone specced with half an eye when picking colours and when the grey fades it goes yellowish ad looks horrible.

Grey is much better - it doesn't fade, and the interior is a lot brighter. Black is a terrible interior colour. Drabtastic.

Soldato
OP
I agree, I dislike the black interiors, especially when everything is black - it looks like it was bought by a fleet manager who didn't have to drive it.

Which is probably the case for most of these.

Back
Top Bottom