• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E6400 Stock Fan Failure?

Associate
E6400 Fan Problem When CPU Fan Control set to Auto

Ok, thought my E6400 stock fan had a mechanical problem but I've solved it by changing the BIOS settings (I'm using a Gigabyte DS3 board). CPU fan speed control method was set to Auto, changing it to Intel QST mode seems to fix it, and I've also changed the control mode to PWM. So it seems there's a problem with the Auto control settings on the DS3 BIOS - I've not updated the BIOS so it's perhaps fixed by new BIOS versions.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, and probably won't on this PC as it's my 'production' machine and I like to keep it fairly standard in terms of configuration. I have now fitted a Freezer 7 Pro instead of the Intel heatsink so CPU cooling shouldn't be an issue if I do want to try anything. The PC5300 RAM might be an issue though.

Jonathan

Associate
OP
Heh, well I was lucky as well in that I'd turned on the CPU fan failure warning when poking around the EasyTune settings, so I got the warning as soon as it happened and no damage resulted. That's a setting that should really be on by default...

Associate
Just built my mate a system around the Gigabyte 945PL-S3 and can confirm the same trouble,it was driving me bonkers,fan barely moving low speed erratic.
Glad i found this thread a bios update fixed it
Cheers guys
Big thumbs down for gigabyte tho,they don`t even acknowledge that issue hmm i always check bios updates before i build in case of issues.

Soldato
I was slightly worried today when i set my DS3 board up as the cpu fan didnt spin. At first i thought id broken my freezer 64 but tried another fan and it was the same.

There was an option in the bios to fix it but cant remember what it was lol

Back
Top Bottom