eARC issue with LG TV and Denon AVR

Soldato
OP
Dolby surround is a ‘fake’ up mix from the amp, you need it to only output what it’s being given, no up mixing or fake surround.

None of this has anything to do with eARC as the built in TV apps don’t use HDMI.

The built in apps should deliver atmos even on an amp that doesn’t support eARC.

Agreed, I don't think it's an eARC issue now

On the amp in the amp assign menu what speaker set up have you set?

It's set as 9.1
Floor - 5 ch
Height - 4 ch

(It's slightly convoluted as the 2 fronts are done via pre-out into my stereo amp - not that that changes anything with regards to this issue)

I do feel we're getting into the weeds a little with this since Atmos works fine from the other sources (Xbox & Shield), so I'm not sure how the Amp/speakers can be set up incorrectly?

What I am finding odd and maybe relevant is why the TV Netflix app outputs to the height channels (all 5.1.4) when on the menu, but not when playing the programme?

So the sequence is :

Netflix Menu : Dolby Surround showing 5.1.4
Play Atmos content : Dolby Digital + showing 5.1 only
Back to menu : Now showing Dolby Digital + or Dolby Surround, but both in 5.1.4

:confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Well I'm at a loss. Your Denon even displays completely differently to mine.
I get Atmos & Auto displayed via eARC but it never shows what speakers are in use, regardless of if it's Atmos, DD etc.

My netflix menus are never full surround though so maybe it's just your receiver upmixing for those but sticking to what it's sent in the actual show?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Go into your TV's Sound settings, go to Advanced Settings and scroll down to DTV Audio Setting. Make shure it is set to Auto.

Yep it is

I get Atmos & Auto displayed via eARC but it never shows what speakers are in use, regardless of if it's Atmos, DD etc.

My netflix menus are never full surround though so maybe it's just your receiver upmixing for those but sticking to what it's sent in the actual show?

No idea, I'll put up some pics tomorrow of what's happening

Soldato

It all sounds quite strange

May I suggest since it works with the Cbox, to either use Netflix on the Xbox or buy an Apple TV box

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom