Easiest way to learn to make games?

Soldato
Hey all.

I have tried a few times to learn to program and i got bored of it due to attention span being too short and lack of a decent learning method.

Is there a way or site to follow to learn programming enough to make a 2d india type game or a basic pacman or spectrum type game for starters and work from there up.

I have tried visual basic dot net and made a little bit of a worms mapping tool but all i got was a window, a load and save and close interface and a preview image to a area in the window thing. Then i kinda got bored with it.

I have tried AGS to make a Knightmare game but stopped after 1 and a half rooms as the art took too long and wasnt that good.

People say learn on your own by just visiting sites and stuff but i have tried that and its either too complicated to follow without a sorta q/a way of asking for help on stuck bits or they expect you to know things when you dont have a clue or the way they teach is just too boring and long without seeing anything in return.

I mean i want to learn i have the time as i have nothing better to do but attention spam is a problem, learning methods are a problem and what to learn is a problem.

I did learn to script missions in star trek legacy once, using c# with help from a friend but ive forgotten most of that now but i was quite chuffed when i finally scripted the mission in code tho. Thing about that coding/scripting was a lot of the stuff was terminology i could use as i was used to trek. If it was a game about something like arma or skyrim or whatever i would be lost as i dont know that stuff as well as i knew about trek to be able to code for it.

I have modded games like homeworld in the past as in making 3d ships and putting them in and configuring them but thats not exactly making a 2d simple game is it.

Soldato
You can do a simple text-based RPG in Java from about a week of learning how it works (providing you spend 3 hours a day).

3D games take years to master though.

Soldato
Udacity are currently doing a HTML 5 Gaming course. Knowing html, xml, and javascript would really help.

I'm also doing the javascript course over on Codeacademy so learning it all as I go.

Codeacademy is great for noobs. Udacity on the other hand, even when it's a beginners course and it's just starting out they aren't great at actually teaching noobs. You can tell the people doing in are absolute brains, they often make jumps a noob can't follow or explain something in a way that makes perfect sense if you've been doing it for years.

Should be a good course though, and it'll help greatly in my current job :D

As you mentioned, the other areas are modding communities. Halflife is very popular.

Soldato
Starting by learning to create games is really jumping in at the deep end :)

It may be more boring, but you'd be better served by getting a book or finding a guide for a language you want to learn and gain a good understanding first. It may be less rock and roll, but if you stick with it you'll probably be less disheartened when you hit a future stumbling block when you start to create your games.

Back
Top Bottom