Easy way to estimate used price of hardware?

Associate
I've taken the contracting route under a private company this year and I'm planning to "sell" our hardware to the company as we'll be using them as business PCs, but estimating part prices is annoying, especially as my wife's hardware is relatively old now.

Is there a decent website/method to estimate used prices, or do I have to simply trawl through eBay etc to get average prices for the parts? The price can be an estimate, but it has to reasonable and relatively accurate at the time of sale in case the ol' Customs queries it.

Man of Honour
The store you can sell/buy for vouchers would likely be quicker than ticking the sold box. I'd keep in mind though that the price for old OEM PCs is generally less than the price for individual parts. E.g. a CPU might be £25, but a whole PC just £40.

Associate
OP
My PC is a bit easier as parts are relatively new, my wife's however is a 6800k in an X99 enthusiast board.

Was hoping there'd be a site you can just throw the parts list in and it'll give an estimate based on data (seeing as data and APIs are there). The only one I found that wasn't US only had preselected parts, and not the 6800k etc.

Guess I'll just trawl through the sold listings for each part.

Soldato
hey, what do you mean " sell"? is this just a bunch of old PCs, if so just sell them as a bulk lot, don't try and price each pc up by adding up the price of every part in each PC, that is just time consuming bonkers, what does yourwife's aging PC have to do with this, just talk plainly, it's not like anyone here is going to dob you in! try stating the specs of a pc in the MM price check maybe,
tbh I'm not sure what your aim is really,
again, if you are not selling each component individually, just push out a job lot price that you are happy with, don't try and base it on anything other than that!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
hey, what do you mean " sell"? is this just a bunch of old PCs, if so just sell them as a bulk lot, don't try and price each pc up by adding up the price of every part in each PC, that is just time consuming bonkers, what does yourwife's aging PC have to do with this, just talk plainly, it's not like anyone here is going to dob you in! try stating the specs of a pc in the MM price check maybe,
tbh I'm not sure what your aim is really,
again, if you are not selling each component individually, just push out a job lot price that you are happy with, don't try and base it on anything other than that!
I just said "sell" because I'm not actually selling anything to anyone else - myself/the company, nothing about being dobbed in, it's simply a paid transfer of ownership. Our current hardware, monitors, peripherals etc will all become business-use and business-owned.

I just need to find a reasonable figure for "how much would I get if I sold all of this second-hand?" And was hoping for an easier way than trying to scour auction sites - I found a couple of websites that let you throw in a parts list but they're not UK or just useless (maybe another project to throw on my pile of dead projects )

Not sure I have access to the MM price check but I can double check. I kinda need to know how much the parts are to get a "job lot" price, I have to be able to justify the price. I doubt HMRC will realistically care at all, but I'm not a risk taker when it comes to the ol' Revenue!

Don
I kinda need to know how much the parts are to get a "job lot" price, I have to be able to justify the price. I doubt HMRC will realistically care at all, but I'm not a risk taker when it comes to the ol' Revenue!

I wouldn't even go that far, surely if it's business assets then generally they have a fixed lifetime e.g. 5 years that they are depreciated over before being written off.
So if you know the purchase price then just depreciate them by the age.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I wouldn't even go that far, surely if it's business assets then generally they have a fixed lifetime e.g. 5 years that they are depreciated over before being written off.
So if you know the purchase price then just depreciate them by the age.
Kinda - but the depreciation doesn't really apply here because it's not assets being bought new and depreciating as such for tax purposes yet. When selling personal assets you can sell it for the second-hand value. So if I was to sell our PCs, monitors, peripherals, chairs etc second-hand - I can charge my company how much I'd make from second-hand sales to transfer ownership.

One main reason for me is because the second-hand value of everything is a nice chunk of money I can take out of the company and not pay any form of income tax on it myself when that time comes next year.

Doesn't seem like there's a nice "chuck a big parts list and get an instant answer from real data", so I guess I'll just go price up manually. I don't have access to the MM price check (and MM tends to be cheaper than others anyway, I want to maximise the sale prices here :cry: )

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I guess that you will just have to go on the highest sold prices on ebay then, but for complete systems, you might be surprised at some off the MM reccommendations, why don't you have access to the MM?
Yeah, as above, need the 1,000 post count... I'm trying! :cry: I could ask my friend to post the specs though, he has access.

Associate
You can use whichever method you want as long as it is followed consistently. Be it market value or depreciation based, as you’ll never know the market value unless you literally sell it.

Much of this can also be considered immaterial in the grand scheme of things.

Back
Top Bottom