Easyrider's Playon HD mini review thread.

Caporegime
Ok I have just checked my emails and I have had a quite a few emails asking me about the Playon HD mini after just receiving it yesterday.

So I thought I would start a thread about it.

Below are a couple of pictures

The unit is tiny and totally silent.

PIC_0011.jpg

PIC_0012.jpg

Up to now after a play and 3 firmware updates I can honestly say for the money this unit rocks.:D

It plays MKV files with DTS audio flawlessly. Scanning and searching through the film is faster than the PS3 and I have had zero sync issues.

The IQ is no different from the PS3

The menu's are OK visually ( one of the weak areas) but this will be addressed with firmware updates. The latest BETA release has made the GUI look much nicer and perform smoother and quicker. The firmware it came with was horrible.

Setting it up was very easy...I connected it to the network my manually giving it an IP address although this get be set to auto via the menu using DHCP.

I paid 79 delivered and wouldn't hesitate to have them dotted around the house.

One great feature is the MKV and Subtitle playback one thing I missed when streaming from the PS3...You can resize the SUBS in realtime while watching the film which is a great little feature.

Now the JUKE BOX feature, one of the reasons for me buying this unit. I pointed the the JUKE BOX at the index file on the server and loaded it.

It took 8 mins 45 seconds to load. This is to be expected for the first time due to the scanning of the JUKE BOX folder containing the Film info.

But once this is done it loads nearly instantly after that. Navigation is fine for my needs and the thing just works.

I have done a HD video of the menus etc...and will upload that for you to check it out and make a decision on whether a unit like this is right for you.

EDIT:

Latest Downloads here

Beta Firmware Here

Videos of menus etc...in 1080p

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
looks good easy,

what do you think of the interface? is it web based?

im looking at something like this for the folks as i want my atom/ion based system back from them :p

any stutter or problems at all with HD playback?

Caporegime
OP
Sounds great, but i dont really get what it does ! do you connect an external Hdd to it or does it stream over your network from a pc ?

You can do either. You can plug USB drives into and play the files from there or stream them from a NAS or Server over the network.

I have all my movies stored on my Windows Home server.

Bry

Bry

Associate
Great review thanks,

could we get some screenshots of the interface? I am especially interested in the jukebox view as well as the settings options

Associate
Thanks easyrider, nice thread.

I was lurking considering wether or not to buy this myself when I saw your posts in the other thread!

I am stuck in two minds, wether to go for an additional PC for this (HTPC) using AMD 1055T and 4GB RAM (running XMBC Aeon), a Dune 3.0 Base system or get this and run off my existing PC (WMC in my sig), I'd rather NOT use my existing PC though as its a nice gaming rig, I also need something to run VMWARE, would XMBC run ok in VMWARE? (with that proc it should have no trouble????!)

easyrider, can I ask how you've got your LAN rigged at home? are you using ethernet over the power supply or 1Gb cat-5 etc?

Caporegime
OP
looks good easy,

what do you think of the interface? is it web based?

im looking at something like this for the folks as i want my atom/ion based system back from them :p

any stutter or problems at all with HD playback?

I have had no issues with Stutter either from the Network streaming or the HDD playback.

The interface is quite good a massive improvement over the one it came with.

Its still not in the league of the PS3 interface though..But for me the point is the Files it plays and the cost.

Lets face it 79 quid is nowt :p

Caporegime
OP
Thanks easyrider, nice thread.

I was lurking considering wether or not to buy this myself when I saw your posts in the other thread!

easyrider, can I ask how you've got your LAN rigged at home? are you using ethernet over the power supply or 1Gb cat-5 etc?

Its simple and cheap and works. A HTPC will have better looking menus and will be more tweakable but I bought it for movie playback and MKV and SUBS support.

I have a server with all my media on connected via GIGABIT Cat 6 going into a HP Gigabit switch.

Associate
Thanks for the review.

Have you tried HD Audio yet using a blu ray iso or folder? If so how did you get on?

I don't use mkv I only use blu ray files.

Back
Top Bottom