eBay advice for returned item

Soldato
I sold anitem on eBay and the seller asked for a refund which I accpeted. Frankly the buyer is being unreasonable and I am happy to issue a refund and take the hit on the returns postage.

I am intending to check the parcel contents before accepting delivery and taking a video of me opening the parcel. If it is not what I sent should I reject, or simply accept and open an eBay dispute?

I believe eBay simply do a refund when delivery is attempted, rather than accepted (for obvious reasons). I also know eBay tend to side with the buyer but if I have a video of me opening the parcel with the postman there, surely it should be enough evidence for me to win a dispute?

Hoping it doesn't come to this and to be fair any time I did a return I did get my item back. Just wondering if rejecting delivery under the above circumstances would be a bad idea under eBay rules.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hence why I said I would do it with the postman there. I think accepting the parcel and asking the postman to be a witness is possible as the postman is a friendly sort who we have known for years. I sort of already thought rejecting was a bad idea as the tracking would show delivery attempted.
  • So accept the parcel
  • Open the parcel with the postman there as a witness
  • If it is not what it is meant to be I will take the parcel and open a dispute, using the video evidence if required.
I know eBay almost always side with the buyer but there are exceptions as long as you have documented evidence.

Soldato
OP
Update for those interested. The item was delivered and I asked the postman if I could take a video of me opening the box while he stood there and watched. The postman was OK with this as he is a friendly sort and has been our postman for over 10 years. We are on first name basis, so I suppose that helps. :)

Either way, I opened the parcel while recording a video and my item was inside and verfied against the serial I had noted down. There is no damage and all parts are present. So thankfully this particular buyer was honest (even if unreasonable).

if I had opened the box and found a brick inside, with a postman there having just delivered the thing that very minute. I doubt even eBay would have a hard time disputing any claims that I wasn't being scammed. Though I have read enough and seen enough to know eBay are not likely to listen to logic but perserverance is key.

Contrary to some of the opinions being posted, sellers have sucessfuly overturned eBay disputes by threatening legal action.

Article is old but still relevant.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/feb/17/ebay-goes-wrong-debt-collectors

Back
Top Bottom