Ebay and their delivery partner shutl

Associate
Hi all,

Not sure quite where else to ask hence the post here. It's semi relevant as I've just sold a laptop through ebay (for spares and repairs, but with screen and mobo in tact so would boot).

I was pushed very heavily into using their own shutl delivery service, but as it was cheap I went along with it.

My first issue, is that I paid for a 2-3 day service (which made no mention of weekdays) and the parcel arrived 7 days later (including a weekend so 5 days if we're being generous). It even showed up in ebay as "5-7 day delivery".
I emailed shutl to complain before the item arrived and was told:
- that weekends don't count (despite this being nowhere in ts and Cs),
- that as I had dropped off in an evening, that day didn't count
- and that even then, they couldn't entertain refunds for small delays. (it was a day late even with their two get outs)

The item has now arrived at the other end, but the buyer claims its damaged (screen smashed, won't boot).
I've seen no evidence of this yet but having preemptively looked at the refund pages on the shutl site, I now see an exclusions page that covers just about everything under the sun (and certainly 90% of items sold on ebay). This isnt a list I was shown during the buying process but it does say that 'electronic goods' are not covered.

I've entrusted ebays official partner with my delivery and its arrived late and destroyed. Where do I stand?

Soldato
Well for starters delivery not including weekends is nothing new..... For any delivery company

You are flapping before you even have any proof it's damaged

Sellers have no rights on eBay, so you will have to wait for the buyer to prove its damaged and go through eBay not sutl

Soldato
But if the buyer proves it broken, then shutl are the ones who would normally be liable.

All delivery companies have t&C's that you can read, the onus is on you to check them.

Crappy situation to be in but sounds like you are screwed.

Soldato
You aren't exactly pushed to use Shutl, they give you a choice between shutl, royal mail or just sorting delivery yourself.

I'm guessing you went with myhermes through shutl as they are usually the cheapest and slowest.

Did you purchase the insurance top up?

Associate
OP
You aren't exactly pushed to use Shutl, they give you a choice between shutl, royal mail or just sorting delivery yourself.

Actually, if you use the Android app, you're only given a list of set options which are from shutl or Royal mail. I can find no way to say "other". Though I am aware you can choose other through the website.

Did you purchase the insurance top up?

I sort of wish I had, but as the item is on the exclusion list, I'm sure this would have been further wasted money.

Associate
OP
While the machine was sold as "Spares OR repairs", I did specify that the screen and mobo were ok (which they were). The item is therefore (if buyer is to be believed), not as described.

The buyer has responded to my request for details and photos saying:
"the photos are annexed to show my disappointment and reason"
But no photos show up in the ebay message thread.. does anyone know where I might find the photos once they're uploaded?

Man of Honour
Actually, if you use the Android app, you're only given a list of set options which are from shutl or Royal mail. I can find no way to say "other". Though I am aware you can choose other through the website.

I sort of wish I had, but as the item is on the exclusion list, I'm sure this would have been further wasted money.
You can, I selected other 48 hour courier the other week when I listed something.

Associate
OP
Not that it really matters, but here are the list of options I'm given on the ebay app now I go back to re-list the item (just as a test)

38NrTSJ_d.jpg.png

Caporegime
While the machine was sold as "Spares OR repairs", I did specify that the screen and mobo were ok (which they were). The item is therefore (if buyer is to be believed), not as described.

The buyer has responded to my request for details and photos saying:
"the photos are annexed to show my disappointment and reason"
But no photos show up in the ebay message thread.. does anyone know where I might find the photos once they're uploaded?

Sounds like a scam, what’s their feedback like?

Claim that it’s broken and either send back an empty box to the seller or try and get a partial refund. Seems a pretty typical ebay experience.

Caporegime
Apart from those words being my new band name because it's rad as heck, what exactly is the point you're making here, chaperino?

This isn't some weird mathematics AND/OR argument is it? :mad:

Yes it is. It's either right or wrong. It's spares or repairs, because you either use it for spares, OR repair it, not both. Anyone who states otherwise is wrong and should be dropped off London bridge with concrete boots on.

Soldato
They don't need to state a delivery timescale doesn't include weekends - that's just common sense. Couriers tend to work Monday to Friday unless you pay extra, everyone with half a braincell knows that and it shouldn't have to be spelled out.
Same with the day of drop off not counting, that's also just logical - if you drop it off in the evening, do you expect a courier to race around and pick it up immediately? Their collection will be within the normal working day, so it's not going to move until the next day when it's picked up.

So in summary, it was a day late. No need for anyone 'being generous', just apply common sense and it's easy to work out it was a day late, not 4.
With regards to the damage, you'll have ticked or agreed to their terms and conditions during the booking process - they don't need to make you scroll down the list. That's for you to do if you're unsure.

I hate courier companies with a passion, but you're being unreasonable.

Soldato

Ah wouldn't know about the Android app as I always use the advanced listing page as the basic one hides too many options. Doesn't surprise me though, eBay have been pretty bad with their new layouts and insistence on "simplying" everything. Just seems to make it even harder to sell on it.

Associate
OP
Select large parcel then the generic options are at the bottom of the list
Look's like you're correct, but it's not a large parcel.. So I think saying I was pushed towards using their service isn't unfair.

that's just common sense
you'll have ticked or agreed to their terms and conditions during the booking process - they don't need to make you scroll down the list.
you're being unreasonable.

While I can see where you're coming from, if they can use T's & C's to get out of liability on a technicality, then why can't I use the shortcomings in those same T's and C's?
The Ts and Cs define a weekday, but make no mention of delivery times being WRT weekends/weekdays. Therefore what the Ts and Cs say is that 2-3 days, means 48-62 hours. Likewise, they mention no cut-off points for dropping off.
In any case, they've delivered a parcel late for what was a priority service. And that's before they potentially damaged the contents.

Back to the matter at hand though, I now have a response from the buyer with 'photos'... They've been taken on a potato with the flash turned off and no other lighting so really don't show anything. The original listing photos showed damage to the case/hinge so it might be that the buyer didn't know what they were buying.
I think they might also be complaining that it wont turn on, but the battery is probably dead, and there are no HDDs (mentioned in the listing) so it's to be expected that it wont.

If the buyer is just disappointed that the item he bought for ~£50 isnt the behemoth gaming laptop it once, was will ebay still make me refund and pay for 2x postage?

Associate
222 total, 128 last 12 months, 100% positive. I was actually quite relieved this one bought it not the second highest bidder who had none...

Feedback is worthless seen as you can't neg anymore, meaning it doesn't show wether he / she is a serial partial refund seeker. Had the same myself with a laptop I knew was good, buyer complained the hinge creaked, yes creaked! I asked for evidence, none provided, surprise ebay refunded them.

Associate
OP
Latest message from the buyer finished "seems e-bay will need to step in"

What's the process from here? Does he appeal with ebay and they come down one side or the other? Can I pre-empt it and get in contact with ebay myself and plead my case?

Soldato
Latest message from the buyer finished "seems e-bay will need to step in"

What's the process from here? Does he appeal with ebay and they come down one side or the other? Can I pre-empt it and get in contact with ebay myself and plead my case?

Unlikely,

Ebay will do the same as you have done, and ask for photos. Bit odd the screen is smashed considering the laptop was closed shut during transit. Something very hard must have hit that to damage it. Did you keep pictures of the item yourself to compare ?
If you didn't insure it, your best outcome would be it being returned to you and issuing the buyer with a refund.

Back
Top Bottom