Educate me about catalytic convertor theft

Man of Honour
So a friend has head their catalytic convertor stolen off a Morrisons car park in daylight.
They rang their insurance who said it will cost too much to repair so will have to 'write off' the car.
Some people in the office said you can run without one but will need to put a straight pipe on (I have read this can be done).
Another person said 'You can go to Joe Bloggs Garage and they'll do you one for about £300 but others said that is illegal and will invalidate insurance.

So what is it, pretty sure someone on here has experienced this?

Man of Honour
OP
daughter had hers cut off and we ended up replacing the whole exhaust and cat via ebay was about 350 if i remember correctly vauxall zaphira. asked the insurance and they said on a 2008 it would write it which i thought was silly untill you realise that they were basing prices on manufactures rates over four figures with labour , so as she knows the car she decided to take the hit and pay for it herself......well bank of mum and dad with muggins doing the labour :).

This was the bit where somebody said you can't do because insurance would be invalid, it has to be done by a proper Honda garage!!

Man of Honour
OP
Email just arrived for staff -

Friday 12 February 2021

Catalytic converters theft
UHNM are aware of a recent increase in the theft of catalytic converters from cars in the area of the Royal Stoke, we are assisting Staffordshire Police with their investigations. Staffordshire Police are asking owners of these vehicles to be asked to be extra vigilant:
· Buy catalytic converter alarms or metal cages, which can be fitted around the catalytic converter to act as a deterrent
· Use marking kits for catalytic converters, which are available and can help police identify them at scrap yards or on suspect vehicles
· Park in other areas that make it difficult for would-be thieves to access the underside of the vehicle (particularly the front end)

Back
Top Bottom