EeePC/wind/mini note - help

Associate
Hi people,

bit confused here, I'm trying to follow the ultra-portable story and I think it's all just moving a bit fast for me!!

Basically, I'm a student and have a PC I built last summer which is still going to be my main computer. I would like a laptop, however, to use for smaller tasks (word processing/web browsing), which I could take to the library/friend's flats etc. This range of Ultra-portable laptops, therefore seems to be perfect for what I'm looking for. I am not too concerned about price, I'm working over summer full time and could therefore stretch to around £700 max for my laptop, although saving some of that would be a massive benefit!

I run Vista 64bit on my PC and would like maximum continuity between the machines (if 'my documents' could syncronise when the laptp was docked I would be a very happy man!), so probably want XP (I'm guessing Vista on these type of laptops is pushing it a bit!).

As you can probably tell, I'm not completely up to date on these things, therefore any advice anyone could offer would be great!

(I'm not completely sold on this 'breed' of laptop yet, so advice/suggestions on more standard laptops is also welcome, although size will be a major factor in my decision!) - id like to be able to just use my 'rucksack' type bag I use for my uni work to transport it!

Again, any help would be briliant!

Cheers
Richy

EDIT: just thought of another possibility, I've always liked the IBM thinkpads, does anyone know a lot about these, will I get a decent for for around £600?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in a similar position, but I've decided that the EEE 901 / 1000 is the one for me.

Basically, all it will be used for is word processing and programming whilst at college - so I don't see a need for all these extra features.

Plus it's small so easy to shove in my bag and take it with me.

Now if only they'd start selling the god damned things :mad:

Associate
OP
yeah, Im thinking the same at the minute,it's now on a competitor site with 2-7 day delivery...

Is there any point in waiting to see a price drop from the 904/5 models release, or will this be a long wait?

I'm getting that restless, i just want to buy something feeling again.....

Associate
Sounds to me like both of you would be better off with an MSI Wind (or the re-badged Wind - Advent 4211). It has a better keyboard than the Eee and is available now. It may not be in stock... but it is available!

You can pick up the advent for £280 if you look around and according to their sales department they are getting more stock soon... i.e. Monday.

I had the Wind on pre-order, but was going to have to wait another few weeks for the black one. I would rather get it next week and have silver/black. I'm not a badge snob so will get the Advent. Physically the same, and you can use the MSI BIOS if you want.

Soldato
Is there a comparison table anywhere regarding these ultra-portables?
If not, I'm going to make one myself... If anything it will help me make my own decision about what I want :)

Caporegime
Can anyone add some pics of the Advent rebadge? Wouldnt mind having a look. So much choice so I dno what I want...

Unfortunately cant have the eee pc as the keyboard is just a smidge too small...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Im probably just going to get an asus eee 900 if the 901 is ready by early next week...

been waiting for too long and tbh for what i will use it for (internet) i could get away with the earlier ones.. but would rather have the "full screen" model

cant wait though, only worry is what colour, white or black

Caporegime
The 1000's keyboard is bigger, although imo, the ECS G10IL is the best of the bunch.
Bloody hell - not even heard about it - how many are there out there?!? Just seen it - love the keyboard with that white/orange look :yum: ;)

Asus Eee PC
MSI Wind (Advent rebadge)
Acer One
ECS G10IL

What else? By the time I read and compare those another 5 will pop up :p...

Associate
Bloody hell - not even heard about it - how many are there out there?!? Just seen it - love the keyboard with that white/orange look :yum: ;)

Asus Eee PC
MSI Wind (Advent rebadge)
Acer One
ECS G10IL

What else? By the time I read and compare those another 5 will pop up :p...

HP have done one, it was on the front of a trade catalogue sent to me at work.

Edit: I see you've already found it on the Wiki site. :p

Associate
I have an advent and the keyboard is very very nice. Been using it at work all day to write some documentation while my desktop was busy. :)

Back
Top Bottom