teammemberranking.png

uktop100.png

world1ooteams.png

teamovertake.png

membermovements.png

milestones.png

einsteinheadermini.png

Team Admin News

Welcome to the first edition of the OcUK Einstein@home News :)
Any suggestions for additions/alterations to the news are most welcome.

The following inactive memberships (zero credit) have been terminated

Leigh Gilbert has been removed
Barry Bott has been removed
Åmbrosius has been removed
sefese has been removed
nick name nick has been removed
abb has been removed
Capnqweel has been removed
madman has been removed
Daniel R. Gigot has been removed
chriswebuk has been removed
DATAjammer has been removed
net_finding has been removed
SilentBobOCUK has been removed
jim Tenzin has been removed
Andrew Johnson has been removed
Jim has been removed
rizo has been removed
Gary has been removed
Phil_Duncan has been removed
mattcreese has been removed
kategomm has been removed
wigan meat pie has been removed
Twiss has been removed
Niko has been removed
Brumratt has been removed
Aaron has been removed
simianbenzoate has been removed
Iain has been removed
hikaru452 has been removed
Daniel has been removed
edd has been removed
David has been removed
Rodz37 has been removed
Adele has been removed
mhapti has been removed
skutterpunk has been removed
Ben Brooks has been removed
Michael has been removed
creed has been removed
not-the-infidel has been removed
John Stephen Reid has been removed
ca9phoenix has been removed

28/01/2011

quadcorele11 has been removed
GB097690 has been removed
Ronz has been removed
Nemesis has been removed
Graham Anderson has been removed
sorcerer has been removed
Con has been removed
THEHEAP'S has been removed
Princeofdevils has been removed
Dunk has been removed

For your information all the above had mostly joined years ago and not returned any results but you are welcome back again as an active participant.

Project News

cuda.png

New Einstein@Home Radio Pulsar Search and NVIDIA GPU Code

Einstein@Home is beginning a new round of searching for radio pulsars in short-orbital-period binary systems.
This is accompanied by the release of a new application (called BRP3). The new application is particularly efficient on NVIDIA Graphics Processor Cards (up to
a factor of 20 faster than the CPU-only application). In addition, when running on an NVIDIA GPU card, this new application makes very little use of the CPU
(typically around 20% CPU use when the GPU is devoted to Einstein@Home).

The NVIDIA GPU application is initially available for Windows and Linux only. We hope to have a Macintosh version available soon. Due to limitations in the
NVIDIA drivers, the Linux version still makes heavy use of the CPU. This will be fixed in Spring 2011, when a new version of the NVIDIA Driver is released.
Many thanks to NVIDIA technical support for their assistance!

Because we have exhausted the backlog of data from Arecibo Observatory, this new application is being shipped with data from the Parkes Multibeam
Pulsar Survey (from the Parkes Radio Telescope in Australia). In the next weeks we expect to also start using this new application on fresh Arecibo data taken
with the latest 'Mock Spectrometer' back-end.

Bruce Allen
Director, Einstein@Home 20 Jan 2011 15:57:08 UTC

Older News - Einstein@home users discover rare star

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10959590

Signiture image's

Sig's for forum usage should you require one, if you need any help setting it up all you need do is ask :)

dssa2.jpg
scotchsig.gif

welshsig.jpg

Useful Links

nVidia Drivers http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

PSU Calculater http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/advance.jsp

Server Status http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/server_status.html

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well done Mr Halz, reminded me that my einstein progress has been lacking recently. I've fired it up again. All we need now is E@H tiffys:)

I think I will issue Tiffys direct for the time being......gotta make them first mind :)

Ah - my main backup project when SETI is playing silly beggars. Sadly it remains that though.

M

Using Einstein as backup is good enough for me, your doing pretty well at it though for a backup project.

Soldato
OP
OK, I have done the newsletter, made the sigs/wallpaper and I have just emailed approximately 270 members.
All the emails were directed to this post so come on peeps, it wouldnt take many more members to raise our output to the highest in the UK

WE NEED YOU
weneedyou.png

Soldato
OP
Really? Whats the point of finding pulsars?

The study of pulsars has resulted in many applications in physics and astronomy. Striking examples include the confirmation of the existence of gravitational radiation as predicted by general relativity and the first detection of an extrasolar planetary system.

The discovery of pulsars allowed astronomers to study an object never observed before, the neutron star. This kind of object is the only place where the behavior of matter at nuclear density can be observed (though not directly). Also, millisecond pulsars have allowed a test of general relativity in conditions of an intense gravitational field.

In order for the effects of general relativity to be measurable with current instruments, pulsars with orbital periods less than about 10 years would need to be discovered, such pulsars would orbit at distances inside 0.01 pc from Sgr A. Searches are currently underway, at present, five pulsars are known to lie within 100 pc from Sgr A

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar

Ah comon Mr. Biffa, Im only running a dual core @ 3.6GHz and Im doing pretty well, shirley you could spare a couple of cores.

Calm down, there's no need to call him Shirley :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OOh fantastic, good to see some stats OCuk based. Started doing Einstein again a couple of months ago after my interest in physics and astrophysics was re-kindled.

Thanks Spleenus...........and you never know - it could be you :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10959590

Ive kind of jumped in with both feet, hope to be heading for uk No.1 for rac and maybe top 10 in the world:)

I wouldnt expect any less from you, your contribution to the team is simply amazing S'ah :D

Soldato
OP
I've noticed there's an Nvidia client now available.

Did you not read my news post :p , ok so I added it later :D

Does anyone have any comparable stats of how long to complete work units compared to cpu? I looked on the main einstein@home and it mentions it's something like upto 20x faster than the CPU application.

Havent seen any so I am going to try it myself..............in a big way :D

Soldato
OP
Nice news Mr Halz, might have to give this new CUDA app a go :D

Cheers, I have just got stuck into this myself, started with this

Code:
<coproc>
            <type>CUDA</type>
            <count>0.330000</count>

............and every gpu unit errored out after approx 6 to 7 minutes, so changed it to

Code:
<coproc>
            <type>CUDA</type>
            <count>0.500000</count>

............now they are are still ok after 30 minutes so fingers crossed they finish and validate.

Thanks for the tip Biffa

Update: they now complete but are invalid so going to knock it down again

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ONLY FOR GPU, it doesn't do any CPU

Just realised I'm using that app info with cpu units running as well - could that be the problem

I have 6 gpu units running using 0.20 cpu resource each leaving me with enough cpu resources the run an additional 3 cpu units.

The cpu units do not have any problems.

Soldato
OP
In every case they are all 'Error while computing' and the amount of time before the error occurs is always different.
Some last for a while before the error occurs and others error out almost straight away :confused:

EDIT: Some additional information on some of the error work units........

PM0032_03511.dm_328_1

[07:57:38][13868][ERROR] Error during CUDA HS/HSG kernel launch and/or device synchronization (error: 700)
[07:57:38][13868][ERROR] Demodulation failed (error: 1015)!
07:57:38 (13868): called boinc_finish

PM0033_00711.dm_272_0

[11:13:39][23440][ERROR] Error during CUDA device->host time series mean transfer (error: 700)
[11:13:39][23440][ERROR] Demodulation failed (error: 1008)!
11:13:39 (23440): called boinc_finish

PM0032_034D1.dm_420_1

[08:11:37][15584][ERROR] Error during CUDA host->device HS power spectrum data transfer (error: 700)
[08:11:37][15584][ERROR] Demodulation failed (error: 1007)!
08:11:37 (15584): called boinc_finish

PM0032_03511.dm_364_1

[05:45:36][11932][ERROR] Error freeing CUDA HS device memory (error: 700)
[05:45:36][11932][ERROR] Demodulation failed (error: 1010)!
05:45:36 (11932): called boinc_finish

Even more :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Much happier now, stopped all cpu work units - PC now much more responsive than it was.
Just watched a few more complete .......sweet :D

As things stand on gpu only I will get through 6 units in 1 hour 45 minutes - which aint to shabby :)

UPDATE: Well another 4 hours have passed and no more errors - but everything has gone to 'pending' :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Team update

Highest Team RAC in the UK :cool:

At this rate we will be the number 1 UK team on total credit by the end of the year :cool:

Team RAC doubled since the beginning of January .....and rising :cool:

Ba now 3rd in the UK on RAC, 30th in the world on RAC and rising :cool:

All is good at Team OcUk :D

Soldato
OP
........guess it'll be going quiet here soon as I dimantle the 800D and take a dremmel to it :)

:D

Would like to see this as its something I will be doing very soon on a big old Chieftec server tower.

While I'm here - dual power supply setup (using a secondary psu adapter) - good / bad idea ?

Soldato
OP
Personally I've always gone for the big mofo psu instead :)

Not this big you havent ;)

The largest I have seen is a water cooled 1700w Koolance job but they are very pricey......if you can get hold of one.

I have a few spare 600-800w psu's so it seems like an easy option.

From what I've seen it's fine as long as you have room.

I'm sure you're already aware, but - just make sure you link the psu's so that they power up together (adaptor is available)

I have seen the adapter you refer to but I would get my hands slapped for linking to it.

Soldato
OP
Team stats speak for themselves....

27th January
Recent average credit RAC (according to Einstein@Home) 51,554

Today
Recent average credit RAC (according to Einstein@Home) 203,800 :eek:

Nice one Team :cool:

Nobody noticed the typo in the news post, for RAC it says Milkyway@home, sorry :o

I use the same templates for Einstein and Milky, the figures are correct though.

I think its time for a photo update Loudbob :)

Soldato
OP
Way to go Ba :D

The averages tumbled a bit because the servers ran out of work and boinc manager tends to back off for upto 24 hours
so if you dont check it and force a request through its a day lost crunching, well at least this is my experience.

News - Einstein@home users do it again

Einstein@Home Discovers New Binary Radio Pulsar
A new preprint reports the second Einstein@Home discovery, of a radio pulsar orbiting a white dwarf star once every 9.4 hours.
The pulsar, called J1952+2630, is spinning on its axis 48 times per second. It was discovered in data collected at Arecibo
Observatory in 2005 by the PALFA Collaboration. The white-dwarf companion star is unusually massive, and weighs at least
95% as much as our sun. This means that J1952+2630 probably belongs to a rare class of intermediate-mass binary pulsars (five were previously known).

The "discovery plots" can be seen near the top of the Einstein@Home (re)detection page.

Congratulations to the two Einstein@Home participants whose computers found J1952+2630 with the highest significance:

Dr. Vitaliy V. Shiryaev (Moscow, Russia)

Stacey Eastham (Darwen, UK)!

And a big "thank you" to all Einstein@Home volunteers, whose continuing support makes these exciting discoveries possible.

Bruce Allen
Director, Einstein@Home 1 Mar 2011 1:10:47 UTC

Its great when this happens, one of the guys live 5 minutes away from me :)

http://www.vadvert.co.uk/science/10205-nvidia-gpu-plays-instrumental-role-in-discovery-of-new-pulsar.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=pcs-find-pulsars

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
On the plus side your gpu's last longer, which is sort of why mine are on it :D

Right, as you have dragged this post from the aybss and my shame is now running at 110% you have forced my hand.
The Q4 Edition will be out this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom