EK 1080 Waterblock + Founder's Backplate

Soldato
EK's website explicitly states that these are not compatible together.

sg2MW3r.png

However the hex screws that hold the founders cooler to the card and subsequently the backplate too are a perfect fit on the EK block.

1wqfIj6h.jpg

And therefore you can install the founder's backplate onto the EK block.

cWLgbdph.jpg

The only difference is that there are a couple of screws missing.

Which makes me wonder why EK state they are not compatible?

To give EK the benefit of the doubt they may not have known that the backplate would be compatible as I know they struggled to get a physical card to design their blocks around.

However the tinfoil hat wearer might think that if they admitted that they were compatible, then that would destroy sales of their own backplates.

Hopefully this will save someone a few quid in the future or just provide some general info.

Previous EK blocks have had very different thread sizes to stock coolers so backplates and coolers haven't been compatible. I discovered that when trying to install an EK backplate onto my reference 780 before I had all the parts for my loop.

The current 1080 backplate has some cooling pads for dissipation of heat from the back of the core.

The new blocks do look like they have a specific flow direction despite what the instructions say. But EK said that the backplate wasn't compatible so they could be wrong again.

It's likely I will pick up a backplate cause I want to paint it white and I doubt PNY or EVGA would accept an RMA with a painted backplate

I would revise what the website says as it is quite misleading. Possibly write that it's possible but not supported or something professional yet doesn't make you accountable.

Also the EVGA GTX 1080 SC backplate is compatible as well.

MKp43FGh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom