EK RGB Reservoir

Associate
4pin is 12V, it has voltage on each pin and 1 pin for ground. It's normal RGB and is not addressable.

3pin is 5v, it has a power pin, data pin and ground pin. This is addressable due to the data pin.

Motherboards can have different headers for each variant, if your motherboard doesn't have a 4 pin header your options are put a different type of RGB strip in the reservoir (if you can access it and find a suitably sized strip) or get an RGB box that plugs into power of some sort and has a button on to switch the RGB modes and doesn't allow any control from motherboard software.

I know there are some 12v to 5v RGB convertor boxes around but I can't recall seeing one that goes from 5v to 12v.

Personally, I'd just get a different RGB strip (again, if you actually have access to them on the res). I've done it with GPU blocks in the past, you just need to make sure the RGB strip isn't too wide or that the individual LEDs don't protrude too high.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
4pin is 12V, it has voltage on each pin and 1 pin for ground. It's normal RGB and is not addressable.

Motherboards can have different headers for each variant, if your motherboard doesn't have a 4 pin header your options are put a different type of RGB strip in the reservoir (if you can access it and find a suitably sized strip) or get an RGB box that plugs into power of some sort and has a button on to switch the RGB modes and doesn't allow any control from motherboard software.

@Parsley any suggestions on 12v RGB controller boxes? OCUK doesn't seem to have anything suitable.

Associate
Alongside the Cablemod one, Coolermaster make one I think that you connect to a USB2 header on your motherboard and that then allows software control of the RGB. XSPC make a very compact manual option that is powered from a SATA connector.

Just make sure that whatever you look at is 12v and has 4 pins!

Soldato
So I bought a Coolermaster C01L and a splitter that will hopefully allow the C01L to connect to power and then control with buttons a Bykski block and the EK res together.
The splitter should work fine as everything attached to it will get the same signals and be the same colour. With addressable RGB it's tricky as you'd then be sending the flishy flashy signals to two different places so any patterns / motion in the LEDs wouldn't sync up.

Must point out, this isn't true. The vast majority of 12V RGB has a common positive wire and you ground the next 3 wires to enable current on each colour. Pinout is usually labelled "12V G R B".

Associate
Ek have gone down hill so much look at Corsair

In what way? I notice their logo has gone from their classic range of hard-line fittings but what has changed to state they have gone down hill, not looking for a squabble just interested in what makes you think this?

Associate
Ok so that's in with the little controller gadget and the Bykski block attached the same.

Now what do I do about the Seahawk. How do I get some light onto it? Any suggestions?

If you mean the GPU block, it looks almost exactly as mine. The 2 little indents on the bottom are nominally for LEDs. Not sure if you can get anything ARGB that would fit it but you can probably get something white which might highlight the fluid quite nicely.

Soldato
OP
Back when I bought my 980Ti, RGB wasn't really a thing so I never looked into it ><

This was one of my earliest

new_rig2a.JPG

Eheim 1250 240v pump
Original Cathar Whitewater
Vauxhall Heatercore
Home made aluminium shroud
Evercool aluminium 120mm fan
Tygon 1/2" medical tubing.

Back
Top Bottom