EK Velocity direct die advice please

Associate
I'm almost ready to finish my custom loop and one of the tasks left is to direct die cool the CPU.

I've noticed that the waterblock is convex. What sort of problem does this pose for mounting? On my CPU (7820X) the die isn't central on one axis.

The sprung thumbscrews are pretty hardcore on this block. I thought I might just get away with not tightening them all the way.

Associate
How convex?

I would be reluctant to loosen the thumb screws as you may not get a good mount.

I would mount it carefully and check the thermal paste spread and go from there.

If its obviously bad RMA it.

Soldato
I'm guessing you have a direct die support frame? This will stop you flexing the CPU substrate (the PCB that the silicon is mounted in) and from chipping or cracking the die.

You really don't want to direct mount on a modern CPU without one of these, IMO.

Associate
OP
How convex?

It's pretty convex! It doesn't help that the CPU heat spreader is also convex... You can see the contact they both make with each other from these pics. It's not great.

njLiEGW.jpg

YzoJwNW.jpg

I'm guessing you have a direct die support frame?

Yup, I have the one which isn't Debaurs? The German OC dude, not his! Although I think there was two of them, I got the one which is for my CPU... Which means there's a chance I've got the wrong one!

Here is the state of the waterblock. From what I read, it's "designed" to be like that...

KqtwKUZ.jpg

g3kw6aa.jpg

I'd say it's not excessive? I've no idea to be honest, that's why I'm asking here.

Associate
Was that with the block fully tight?

Is the logic of this waterblock that the base is quite thin and will flatten at full sprint pressure.

Don't worry about the off centre die on the CPU, the IHS will protect it.
*I would be wary of using this block without the IHS, it might be fine, but why take the risk?

It also looks to me like you have the block 90 degrees out.
The Die of the CPU runs right to left, but the thinnest line of TIM runs up and down in your pic. I may be wrong but double check it.

Why choose this block?

If your not confident RMA and try something else.

EDIT- Or get the wet and dry out and lap it on your glass coffee table, like the good old days.
EDIT- added a bit*

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, the block was fully tightened. Oh aye, the die is right to left.

I chose this block as it was the new EK beast... that was all! I thought it looked cool, it seemed pretty beefy. I'd assumed that this new Velocity would be better than the previous gen block. I wasn't expecting it to be concave, I thought it'd be perfectly flat as it wasn't inexpensive, but it does make a tremendous contact with the IHS. It would probably be decent if the IHS wasn't concave too! Perhaps ideal for a non x299 Intel CPU. I could get a copper IHS, but I have all the delid stuff, so that's the way I'm going.

I had considered lining up the block with the die when installing it after the delid, that's why I was concerned about the die being off centre on one axis. You're right about the 90 degree thing, but I think I'd be happier with the block lapped... hmm... I didn't really want to do that but I'd feel a lot better about it. I suppose I could lap the die too :D

Associate
Sorry for the thread necro!

I wanted to add that I too have found the Ek Velocity to be as convex as OP.. and the experience hasn't been a good one.

Had the block fitted tightly to a 2700x and temps were not very good on a custom loop with three 240mm rads. I realise the 2700x is a relatively hot chip anyway, but after several months I pulled apart the loop and, similar to OP, saw chunks of TIM untouched. The curve of the block simply doesnt make contact with the entire IHS.

Am I missing something here? Surely this is a design flaw?

Soldato
Sorry for the thread necro!

I wanted to add that I too have found the Ek Velocity to be as convex as OP.. and the experience hasn't been a good one.

Had the block fitted tightly to a 2700x and temps were not very good on a custom loop with three 240mm rads. I realise the 2700x is a relatively hot chip anyway, but after several months I pulled apart the loop and, similar to OP, saw chunks of TIM untouched. The curve of the block simply doesnt make contact with the entire IHS.

Am I missing something here? Surely this is a design flaw?

Return it or get in touch with EK and they will replace it. Possibly just a dodgy batch as it should be flat and the velocity I had wasn’t curved like that.

However it didn’t perform as good as my trusty supremacy evo full nickel which is what I’m using now.

Associate
OP
It's been a while now but It seems I had put the Cooling Plate back together with things in the wrong place. Upside down or back to front, can't remember now. When it goes together correctly it's really quite flat.

Back
Top Bottom