Elden Ring DLC crashes my PC

Associate
Hi,

I've had my PC working in it's current configuration for coming up to a year now and havent had any issues.

I started playing the Elden Ring DLC a few weeks ago and again, no issues until a week or so ago and now the game crashes my PC every 30mins-1 hour. It's quite random, sometimes it'll happen once then I'll reboot and it won't happen again all night. Other times it'll be every 10 minutes or so and I'll get annoyed and stop!

The crashes are abrupt, pc cuts completely, black screen - no BSOD or just the game crashing. I have to turn off the power for a minute or so before it'll reboot.

I've not really played any other games recently and I have no issues during normal use.

One thought I had when building the PC, which now has a 7900XT, a AMD 5800X plus a lot of fans / watercooling equipment, was that the PSU wasn't enouugh. It's a Phantek 750w 80 Plus Gold PSU.

I was going to replace it, but thought I'd see what happened. It's worked fine for a while, but maybe it's feeling the strain now? I don't know.

Any thoughts?

Man of Honour
was that the PSU wasn't enouugh. It's a Phantek 750w 80 Plus Gold PSU.
It should be enough, but one way to test if your PSU is tripping is to just downclock and/or power limit and/or frame cap your card. If reducing it by e.g. 30-40% stops the crashing then that could be a clue, unless e.g. it is related to temperature.

Associate
OP
It should be enough, but one way to test if your PSU is tripping is to just downclock and/or power limit and/or frame cap your card. If reducing it by e.g. 30-40% stops the crashing then that could be a clue, unless e.g. it is related to temperature.
Thanks.

Last night I played with the resolution down to 1080p and all the settings set to low, and low and behold had no issues whatsoever.

I also ran a stress test using OCCT which showed my CPU using 140W, the GPU sitting at around 260W, but with peaks up to 350W. So with all the fans going full pelt, RGB, water pumps, I do wonder if it's possible that the PSU struggles. Then on the other hand it worked fine during the stress test and I set all fans to 100%, so maybe not?

Temps I think were always OK as the system is watercooled an the water temp doesn't go over 36-38.

I'll have a play with the card / CPU power settings and see if I can get it stable. I also moved the PC a few times recently, so may open it up and make sure all the cables are set well.

Associate
GPUs can have very high peak current depending on workload. Games vary their graphics workloads considerably. This can effectively increase the peak power over very short durations by up to around x2.5. The rating for both GPUs and PSUs is given as continuous power. Unfortunately PSU manufacturers don't generally specific the maximum inrush that their units can handle which makes it hard to be sure that a PSU will cope under all circumstances.

If a GPU demands a peak current that a PSU cannot supply, there will be a rail voltage drop and a typical result is that the GPU no longer communicates properly on the pcie bus. This has the sort of symptoms described. Check the SEL to see if there are any logs which might correlate.

Back
Top Bottom