Electric oven bulb failure

Soldato
I have a Zanuusi built in double oven and about a week ago the main oven light gave up -Got on Ebay and ordered two -one for spare -Put bulb in and was ok till oven got hot and went bang and tripped breaker -Next day I took glass cover off bulb housing and loads of broken glass spilled out -Put the other bulb in and that lasted an hour but had just failed - In the meantime I got a replacement from the seller and put that in -That failed this morning.
What are the odds of three bulbs probably made in China failing almost as soon as they are fitted - in mean time I ordered two Phillips bulbs now waiting to be fitted.
So what are the odd of three bulbs failing together or have I got an appliance fault.
The oven works perfect after setting breaker - just no light
It's been on most of the day as wife is cooking xmas cake and it hasn't missed a beat -no light of course.

We will know tomorrow when the Phillips bulb goes in.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Glass cover is on as it should be - I did order oven bulb and packing also said they were but it's Chinese so it could be made of noodles. I just hope the Philips bulb works tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Hells teeth - Screwfix sell a pair of Phillips oven bulbs for £1.75 -cheaper than Ebay single bulb.
if these Phillips work I will go for my money back - They have already sent a replacement which failed.

Soldato
OP
Put the new bulb in first thing this morning and turned oven on just the light setting -It's been on since then and is still shining it's guts off after 5.5 hrs - Big test will be the roast spuds for tonights meal.
My old bulb was a Crompton -must look for them soon. I don't trust any bulb now.

Soldato
OP
Bit of an update.
All three bulbs I bought from Ebay all failed within a few hours of fitting them - I then bought two more bulbs from Ebay but advertise as Phillips -The one I put in is still working so either I was unlucky with the other bulbs and had three dud ones or Chinese QC was rubbish.
Will now contact sell for money back.

Soldato
OP
Did that include Zanuusi - My oven is now 11 yrs old and other than a few replacement bulbs it's been fine - At least we can see the food burning again
Did have the problem with fan vent blocking -Manged to push a straightend up wire coat hanger through gap between ovens and must have dislodged a chunk of burnt on crud and it's been fine.

Back
Top Bottom