Electric Patio Heaters

Don
been building a small outside bar ate beer garden type thing

had a propane heater which we moved into the area and have used it about 2 hrs a night for a week

went to it today and a full cylinder has gone in a week :eek:

so 40 quid a week on gas isn't going to work so I think it's time for an electric one

thought it would be simple but it seems a minefield of different types

can anyone offer any advice?

also, importantly, can they be attached to a wooden structure?

Thanks

Associate

Been a while since I've been on the OC forums but this is my site.

Electric heaters are by far superior to gas if you've got access to a socket. Unfortunately with covid most places are oos but I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Most can be attached to wooden structures as long as you've got decent clearance above the heater itself.

The cheapo £30-50 heaters will do in a jam but if you've got the money i'd recommend a Veito (or a futura if you want something similar but a Chinese import).

Soldato
I have a gas patio heater and it lasts hours and hours. suggest you have a leak many of the regulators cannot put out more than a kg of gas a hour so you should be well in if you had a 13kg bottle

Soldato
The other option is to change the regulator to a normal propane bottle type as propane is much cheaper than a patio gas bottle and no bottle charge either!

Don
OP
The other option is to change the regulator to a normal propane bottle type as propane is much cheaper than a patio gas bottle and no bottle charge either!

The 13kg with screw reg is a bit cheaper, the value is in the 19kg but they dont fit inside the heater

Don
OP
I have a gas patio heater and it lasts hours and hours. suggest you have a leak many of the regulators cannot put out more than a kg of gas a hour so you should be well in if you had a 13kg bottle

I Kg an hour is about right and a £3+ a KG it works out pricey

Don
OP
Been a while since I've been on the OC forums but this is my site.

Electric heaters are by far superior to gas if you've got access to a socket. Unfortunately with covid most places are oos but I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Most can be attached to wooden structures as long as you've got decent clearance above the heater itself.

The cheapo £30-50 heaters will do in a jam but if you've got the money i'd recommend a Veito (or a futura if you want something similar but a Chinese import).

Thanks for that, saw a futura that looked decent value but it said it was llng wave IR, was under impression short wave is better, not that I know much though ;)

Associate
Thanks for that, saw a futura that looked decent value but it said it was llng wave IR, was under impression short wave is better, not that I know much though ;)

It depends on the space you're trying to heat :)

Short wave is high intensity and works well in
Outdoor spaces with no shelter while medium/longwave is for enclosed or slightly sheltered spaces.

There's also a fairly decent selection of under table heaters which I quite like but that's just personal preference.

The long wave ceramic or carbon fibre heaters last a darn sight longer than the quartz or halogen shortwave but if you're trying to heat an open space they're no use. If you've got a picnic bench or seating outside the house next to a fence (two walls / partially enclosed) then you'll probably prefer a mid-far to a short wave :)

Soldato
Is it possible to get a gas patio heater that can be plumbed into the mains gas supply? (Gas socket/bayonet fitting)

(BBQ as well, so no more faffing around with bottles)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I just took delivery of an electric one on a stand. Its actually fairly good, just obviously dont expect long range heat from them. I'd not consider swapping for gas, i'd rather have several electric than do that. Instant on/off, very compact, and obviously silent and non intrusive with no top ups. This thing is 2KW so its run cost is obviously just 2 of your unit rates per hour, so works out to around 23-24p/hour to run at current prices.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My old house had a bayonet fitting on the outside wall right by my gas meter. I am confident it was for hooking up a gas BBQ but I never tried it!
Yep that is likely what it was for, my brother has his plumbed to mains. Unfortunately i am not in a gas area or i'd do the same.

Don
OP
It depends on the space you're trying to heat :)

Short wave is high intensity and works well in
Outdoor spaces with no shelter while medium/longwave is for enclosed or slightly sheltered spaces.

There's also a fairly decent selection of under table heaters which I quite like but that's just personal preference.

The long wave ceramic or carbon fibre heaters last a darn sight longer than the quartz or halogen shortwave but if you're trying to heat an open space they're no use. If you've got a picnic bench or seating outside the house next to a fence (two walls / partially enclosed) then you'll probably prefer a mid-far to a short wave :)

ordered a 2.5Kw futura one as per your recommendation, thanks

Don
OP
I just took delivery of an electric one on a stand. Its actually fairly good, just obviously dont expect long range heat from them. I'd not consider swapping for gas, i'd rather have several electric than do that. Instant on/off, very compact, and obviously silent and non intrusive with no top ups. This thing is 2KW so its run cost is obviously just 2 of your unit rates per hour, so works out to around 23-24p/hour to run at current prices.

yep, loads better than the £3-4 an hour for the gas one

Back
Top Bottom