Electric scooters and the law

Associate
So back to work, I'm on the lookout for an electric scooter. I used to have a kick scooter, but the pricing on an electric options makes it an attractive alternative as I have a up hill jaunt!

I'm a little lost with the remit of the law, any ideas what's required where you can ride them etc, where to get insurance etc?

My route will be on a bike lane/I have a driver's license.

Thx

Associate
OP
Seems to be a few ebikes on Gumtree and FB market place. I guess it's pot luck if the battery is any good! But kinda nearer my £500 budget!

Anyone know now to check a battery or is it just going to be a gamble.

Associate
OP
Ok, i see. I still don't think that would be simple. What differentiates an escooter from other vehicles?
Want to drive a car but don't have a licence? Just limit it to 15mph and call it an escooter.
Motorbike failed it's MOT? Limit to 15mph, call it an escooter and keep riding it on the road.
Good luck balancing a Harley at 15mph :p

Associate
OP
Bit the bullet, and given I needed something that folded to fit in a pug 107 boot have ordered a Fiido D2S for £484

Associate
OP
As an update, my new D2S is awesome. I'm pretty fit, so laziness aside I go running circa 5 times a week so the electric option was purely from a speedier commute back to my car to then drive home to spend what time left in the day with my family.
I did a 12 mile ride yesterday, 6 miles purely on legs alone and then home I confess I used it on the hills and giggles.
Whilst it's not a rocket ship due to the law prohibiting it from going north of 15.5mph, it's effortless when used.
It has a twist and go option (non legal twist only) that when combined with pedalling and twist sees it hit the max speed.
The only negative is it weights more than I expect from a aluminium alloy frame, but that's only a real concern 'if' I'm left short on power.

Back
Top Bottom