Electric Scooters could soon be legal...

Soldato
OP
They are a complete nuisance in other cities :(
In what way? I think the hire schemes do clutter the pavements and when "parked" which leads to problems for the disabled, blind, pushchairs etc. I'm on the fence about pavement riding but I think I'd lean towards no.

Also, what kind of idiot wouldn't use a helmet with it? I'd presume the similar cyclists who think they are either too skilled, or too cool to wear a helmet, or perhaps they have unsmashable brains? As soon as I actually grew up I never rode a cycle without a helmet, there's too many idiots on the road to not do so... including me.
Have you been to the Netherlands? I don't see many cyclists wearing helmets there.

Soldato
OP
If you have been to the Netherlands, then you will know it's one of the most cyclist-friendly countries in the world. You cannot even begin to compare the NL road structure with ours, so the discussion of what cyclists there do or don't do is really of no concern.
Fair points. Has it been proven that typical cycling helmets are effective in high speed impacts vs motor vehicles?

Also the ones I see jumping red lights at the end of my road every single morning :p

Been a few near misses but I haven't seen anyone get hit yet. Will upload dashcam footage if I do lol
Upload the dashcam footage from today? (or if that has been overwritten tomorrow's footage should do fine).

Soldato
OP
Nothing wrong with that. As in a car, you arent supposed to be "racing" on the road. You also cant expect to be flying across junctions seamlessly.
While I wouldn't fly across the junction even with right of way at least when you're on the major road and not the cycle pavement you have right of way. You don't have to considerably slow, maybe even stop, and then accelerate again every 200m.

Soldato
OP
Having cycled the road in question for a year, I would be on the main road, and even cycling at an "assertive" pace, with the visibility you generally have you wouldn't need to slow for these junctions particularly, just be vigilant for cars coming out that might not have seen you and adjust your speed/position accordingly.

No-one uses that cycle lane at all as it's completely and utterly impractical.
Completely agree. I wouldn't use it either. This kind of infrastructure is ridiculously common. Box ticking exercise for providing cycle infrastructure by local councils.

Soldato
OP
From what it sounds like, there is going to be a lot more investment in cycle lanes - so hopefully we'll end up more scooter friendly routes. Hopefully, this gets some people out of their cars.

I'd kinda rather they didn't unless there is a mandated good standard that is adhered to. There are many really dangerous cycle lanes.

I almost got doored the other day while in a cycle lane on a TFL red route. They have put car parking on the pavement right next to it. I always ride to the right of this lane because of the risk but I had not expected this car as it hadn't just parked up or moved. I swerved out into the road lucky that nothing else was next to me. The problem is if I ride in the road at less than 25mph I'll get abuse from drivers for not using the cycle lane... and often it's a headwind.

Soldato
OP
Given the number of folk I see riding bicycles along the pavement in the city centre I can't see it being long before a pedestrian or rider is seriously injured or killed.

I think they're a great form (green, efficient, low cost) of transport but there are way too many idiots out there to blanket allow them without restrictions like licensing, testing before being allowed to ride them and police actually bothering to enforce the law preventing their use on the pavement.

With that logic why don't we ban cars? They (or rather their drivers) seriously injure and kill people. Many of them drive on the pavement too. Example: https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1277974899768700935

Motor vehicles cause a lot more damage when they are involved in collisions so there's more reason to license and test to drive them.

Back
Top Bottom