Electrical rewire

Soldato
I was talking to my Mum today. She has had an electrician inspect the electrics and they said the house isn't grounded. The house is around 70 years old and they are saying it needs a full rewire. She has agreed for them to do it for £5k while she goes on holiday in two weeks time.

I've told her she should have received a few quotes but because this guy is a friend of her cousin's son she seems very trusting of him. I'm a bit concerned that this is overpriced. It's a one bedroom bungalow, so to me that would mean prices similar to a flat. A quick google says £1.5-2.5k would be more like average for a full rewire. I don't think she even has a proper quote, so there would be zero accountability for the work done. I'm tempted to recommend she uses her 14 day cooling off period and cancel.

Wondering if anyone has any electrical experience and can advise?

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone I'm going to mention all this and hopefully get her to pull out and look at other options. She is in the North East so I would expect it to be priced at the lower end of the market.

Unfortunately my Mum is just too trusting and recently I've been trying to keep an eye on her spending.

Even if it was a good price I've always been wary of getting trade work through friends as it just makes things awkward when things go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom