Electricity meter question

Soldato
Evening Guys,

One of my neighbours is complaining of a high electricity bill compared to the rest of us. When checking my meter his metre was showing a constant red LED. Like this:

1io8s4.jpg

We checked it at 10 this morning and then 6 this evening it hasn't moved apparently. He has turned everything off apparently apart from the fridge/freezer.

What does a solid red light on the metre mean?

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mine flashes when in use - the faster it flashes the more power is currently being used.

Completely solid (or indeed completely off) should mean no power use.

:edit: Might be worth mentioning that mine is a pre-payment meter. Whoever was here before clearly couldn't handle paying bills properly.

Soldato
The red light is to let you know that electricity is coming to the meter. If it were to go off it would indicate a problem with infrastructure somewhere ( i.e. a power cut - ring the distributor for your area ) If the light were on but say the digital display was blank then you would call your supplier as they are responsible for the meter ( they then call the meter operator who comes and fixes and or exchanges it )

Ahh 5 years in British Gas not wasted

Soldato
OP
The red light is to let you know that electricity is coming to the meter. If it were to go off it would indicate a problem with infrastructure somewhere ( i.e. a power cut - ring the distributor for your area ) If the light were on but say the digital display was blank then you would call your supplier as they are responsible for the meter ( they then call the meter operator who comes and fixes and or exchanges it )

Thanks! :D

Soldato

Now that makes a lot of sense.

Soldato
If the red light is on but not blinking, then no usage is being recorded.

The light blinks every 1/1000 th of a KWH and when there is no usage ends up stopping at the next "on".

You can prove this by switching off the main switch on the fuseboard and watching the light stick on after a few seconds.

Soldato
I know this has nothing to do with the topic but that picture in the OP has me a little confused. I'm red/green colourblind and see that LED as white but my colourblindness is usually not that bad. Is that just an example picture and that is a white LED?

Associate
I know this has nothing to do with the topic but that picture in the OP has me a little confused. I'm red/green colourblind and see that LED as white but my colourblindness is usually not that bad. Is that just an example picture and that is a white LED?

It's a red LED, the camera makes it look slightly white though. Can see how it would play on colour blindness.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Certain models will light up like that when there is reverse energy detected. A solid red light does indicate no power being measured.

I don't know how you can complain of high energy bill if he has everything turned off.

If you really hammer the meter and use a ridiculous amount it would have little time to pulse which would look like a solid light.

Soldato
OP
Certain models will light up like that when there is reverse energy detected. A solid red light does indicate no power being measured.

I don't know how you can complain of high energy bill if he has everything turned off.

If you really hammer the meter and use a ridiculous amount it would have little time to pulse which would look like a solid light.

I just had a quick look while I was looking at my meter. I think the issue is he is hammering the electric heating. But he was certain someone else was using his electric, so hes gone away and turned it all off.

I have offered to go in and have a look at what maybe using it.

Back
Top Bottom