ELM 327 MINI (Blue) ODBII - Bluetooth Diagnostics - that works with Car Scanner Android app

Soldato
Hi all,

I need to read some diagnostic codes on my BMW 120D - e82 (coup) - I used to have a chinese C110 code reader that worked well, however after about 5 years it broke

Anyway, i looked up online and people were reccomending buying a ELM 327 ODBII bluetooth adaptor to stick in the port in the car and use something like carscanner free (which i have on my android)

Anyway, paid £6 for the bluetooth reader, IE this one

which i know is a clone but it seems to connect ok to my car

the issue is, when i scan for troublecodes, car scanner is finding nothing,

1) I know the bluetooth adaptor is working as its streaming live data like acceleration, RPM info etc,

but the app is not finding any trouble codes

I know my car would have a number of things that needs to be read, one which i know should be showing is im getting the ABS light come on every time i drive

One of the reviews online with this adaptor said he was able to read all trouble codes on the car and picked up his ABS issues

ANyone used this adaptor before and the app car scanner for android before?

Is there any other apps i can try for free that people reccomend to see if it would pick up any codes? i need to find out which wheel may have a dodgy ABS speed sensor

Last edited:
All i really care about for the moment is trying to find which wheel the ABS sensor is erroring on,

I am thinking its one of the rear, but i cant be sure, i am due to change the pads on the rear of my car, so i may just buy 2 x speed sensors and swap them out as i am changing the pads, if i decide to do it myself, i have replaced a speed sensor before but i wouldnt be able to change the reluctor ring.

As for the reader, i will try again with car scanner and ill see if i can download a couple more apps to see if i can get it to spit out some codes, if not i may see if i can pick up another reader or see if i can find the reader i had before which was pretty good (C110) or one of the newer versions, ill probably have to pay £20-£30 for one though

I was hoping to find a reader i could use across different car makes/models though as i am looking around for another car at the moment, and the reader would have been ideal to maybe take along if i am going to view a car

P.S i dont need inpa and a laptop, i dont need that in depth,

Last edited:
Give Carista a go with your existing adapter - it's £9.99 for one month, or it may even have a trial period (I seem to think it did if you signed up for a subscription, but you can cancel it before it starts)

Ill see if i can find it, if it has a trial period that will be enough to have a quick check,

thanks

ill also see if i can find torque pro

I dont mind paying £5 or £9 for one month, aslong as it finds codes!

Last edited:
Carista won't connect to this odbii Bluetooth adaptor

I have tried odb android

Tor odb2 diagnostics

These can see data but don't show any trouble codes

Spent about 45 mins out there in the car trying a few different apps. No trouble codes found

Not really liking the Bluetooth and the app side of diagnostic fault finding .

I did try and download what looked like an apk of an old version of torque pro . It had a rev counter which was working and could stream live data. But.again any scanning no codes what so ever

If you have this elm Bluetooth adaptor can you it with a Windows laptop programme if the laptop has a Bluetooth adaptor

Which app on the laptop ?

Last edited:
Just ordered to rear brake pads, brake pad wear sensor and a rear left or right abs sensor off ebay

Going to see if I can quickly Jack it up this eve to see if I may be find which one by visually looking.

It's going to one of the rear I recon either driver or passenger side

Parts wont arrive till mid next week prob so today will be inspect

Last edited:
Ok so managed to download carscanner again on the Android and it worked.. I chose N47 BMW profile. Seems to scan a lot of codes and it picked up the abs code

DTC 49F2 BMW

49F2) is a vehicle speed error from the engine management; if it cant tell how fast you're going, or if you've lost traction altogether, it struggles to sort out the fuelling etc. Again, speed related to rings or sensors

Not really telling if it's the sensor or the ring ..

I did manage to get one wheel off this evening and unscrewed the speed sensor. It didn't look like it has been forcefully dunning against something. But was abit dusty..I sprayed some wd40 on it and wiped it over with tissue and put back in screwed back in . This was the drivers side rear

I was going to check the passenger side rear but my bloody driveway i can't get proper ground clearance to jack up the wheel even with a brick so need to sort that out.

I guess if I manage to get it jacked up I can possibly replace the passenger side rear abs sensor after checking it . If it doesn't work try the new on on the right?

Google suggest the fault code is N/S/R

Hi all

Thread revival sorry.

I have been using the carscanner app which is working ok with the elm.

Is there any free or cheap apps that will gaurentee give me more data on identifying which corner is having a problem speed wise ?

I am not getting a speed code which usually starts 50x and tells you which corner on which axle. I am getting an

49F2) is a vehicle speed error from the engine management

Now I have tried a few things including replacing the sensor on rear left with a new one. Taking the one in rear left putting. It in rear right .trying the washer trick behind the sensor which made it worse. Removed washer. Now could be reluctor rings but need a decent app that will show specific wheel speed on each corner through live data when your driving.

Carscanner has lots of live graphs. Boost. Torque. Fuel lots and lots and lots more .I cannot however see one though for wheel speed and per corner wheel speed from the wheel speed sensors..

Usually if you have this you can pinpoint which corner has the dodgy reading off the reluctor ring if it is.that

Any know apps which will provide this ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom