Email problems

Soldato
So I transferred my domain from TSOhost to another host this morning.

l setup an email address but have had some issues. I sent some test emails from different email addresses to test, some appeared and other simply vanished.

Afer a while some emails bounce back. I contact support and to my surprise this is the response :D

"may I know if the sender uses Virgin's smtp server when sending the email to your email address?
If yes, there is an issue with the Smtp of their ISP, it needs an authenticated smtp for them to use which they are not using."

So it worked fine for 10 years with Vidahost/TsoHost. Any suggestions apart from moving.

Error below
-------------------------------------

The remote server returned the below error when attempting delivery:

550:550-Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client, or login to the

550-IMAP/POP3 server before sending your message.

550-know-smtprelay-omc-10.server.virginmedia.net [80.0.253.74]:51586 is not

550 permitted to relay through this server without authentication.

Man of Honour
You need to enable SMTP Authentication in your mail client's outgoing (SMTP) server settings. Usually the same settings that you set for the incoming server.

Failing that Virgin will be doing some weird SMTP proxy junk.

Soldato
OP
You need to enable SMTP Authentication in your mail client's outgoing (SMTP) server settings. Usually the same settings that you set for the incoming server.

Failing that Virgin will be doing some weird SMTP proxy junk.

Problem is its happening from multiple sources. I sent myself some test emails from another domain on LCN.com and my mate sent a test email from his work and they bounced.

It was fine for years with Vidahost before I moved it this morning. I may move it back.

Man of Honour
Hangon, if the issue is other people emailing *your* domain hosted on *their* server, then *their* server will only bounce it back if it thinks it doesn't host the domain, which is why it's denying relay.

Go to intodns.com and check your domain is pointed to their servers, then ask them to check that their server knows it hosts your domain. If it was remote when the account was created that would explain it.

Soldato
OP
Thanks I will ask them. I think you are correct. I pointed the domain to Fasthosts this morning then decided to move the domain to them and buy email only hosting.

I will check using that link.

Back
Top Bottom