employee rights with broken leg

Associate
hey all. can anyone help? i broke my leg (not at work) and now i'm in a cast for 6 weeks. can i lose my job? any advice would be much appreciated

Associate
Employment rights have a lot to do with having worked for your current employer for more than 2 years. Is that the case?

Man of Honour
Depends a lot on the contract - if you just started a temp to perm position for instance and then off for weeks with a broken leg they'll likely not keep you. If you've been working somewhere for awhile and have some experience at the job unlikely they'd be in a hurry to get rid of you and sickness can give some rights when it comes to a tribunal but ultimately unless you've been there more than 2 years as above you might not have a leg to stand on.

Soldato
That's what crutches are for (depends on your job a bit).

I broke my ankle in a kerb incident (plaster only to knee), but I had a wooden sole plate made up and worked as an engineer on a building site, kept wearing out the casts though.

Associate
OP
no i am hands on so need to be active. tried to look all this up on the web but its all about benifits and compo and i just wanna make sure i keep my job! thanks 4 advise

Soldato
no. but i know they would like to keep me on but from what you say they would be in there rights to sack me?

Just ask them then. Find out if there's something different you can do while you're disabled and what the likelihood is of losing your job if they don't have anything else for you to do.

The amount of people that don't just go talk to the boss and worry about this kind of stuff, especially when your job is potentially at risk, is amazing. The boss is still a normal person you know.

If you don't have any trust in the boss or if there's any doubt, then see here: https://www.gov.uk/if-you-become-disabled/if-youre-in-employment-and-become-disabled. Contact citizens advice etc.

Last edited:
Associate
If you've worked for an employer for under 2 years, irrespective of probationary period or otherwise, then they can get rid of you at any time. Unless it falls under a discriminatory group (which I don't think this does) then you're at the mercy of your employer being nice.

Back
Top Bottom