Enable multithreading in TF2 and DOD:S

Associate
I found that que mode 2 crashed tf 2 within no time, however if i used all the commands as listed on the fps banana link i got even more fps and zero crashes.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/5790

I also noticed with que mode set to 2 my cpu usage would hover at around 80 ish % and give me a nice fps untill it crashed. With all the commands it sits at 100% fully stable.

Associate
I just tried this and enabled it in game.. The main RCD in my house tripped as soon as I pressed enter! Spooky!

lol dodgy more like!

nope.

The '2' doesn't mean '2 cores', it's boolean (if that's the right term).

0 = no threading
1 = queued threading
2 = multi core
Yeah and -1 is default (which is what mine was before) not exactly sure what that means. default what? 0, 1 or 2? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont think there is a problem as such. more of an issue. for me, i can run it all day long with my rig, but my friends better core2 and new gtx cant. i think it helps lower end processers keep up as long as you have a half decent graphics card. nice boost as otherwise tf2 can be unplayable at times.

funny thing is with the same rig but with a 7800gt it used to crash so ... guess it needs some major tweaking, which they are probably doing right now.

Associate
OP
I've just played TF2 for about a hour, no crashes, and my sniper scope works fine.

Admittedly the fps boost wasn't as great as in DOD, but was still pretty hefty (from about 70 to 100).

I guess at the moment its hit'n'miss, but I presume its hard for Valve to re-engineer the engine to support multithreading, rather than games that were built from scratch to support it.

any news on this working on css?

No it doesn't until they update it to the later source engine.

Associate
I changed the other cvars, except mat_queue_mode, as anything other than -1 makes mine crash. I'm not sure the others do anything without mat_queue_mode 2.

Associate
I found that que mode 2 crashed tf 2 within no time, however if i used all the commands as listed on the fps banana link i got even more fps and zero crashes.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/5790

I also noticed with que mode set to 2 my cpu usage would hover at around 80 ish % and give me a nice fps untill it crashed. With all the commands it sits at 100% fully stable.

Good man. This works, no more 3 second crashes. Quite happy about that.

Associate
Good man. This works, no more 3 second crashes. Quite happy about that.

Glad it helped, was finding that my core 2 duo clocked at 3.44 dropped to 40-50 fps on a large server which lead to me looking into why the game only used one core. Ended up finding the que mode and causing crashes but thought I may aswel try the other which worked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom