Encrypting a USB Flash Drive

Capodecina
Soldato
This question may have been posted earlier but I can't find a relevant reference.

I have been asked for advice on Encrypting a USB flash drive by someone who travels a lot. He has two identical flash drives on which he keeps personal details such as .JPGs of his Passport, Driver's Licence, Airline Ticket(s), 'phone numbers, etc. One he carries with him and the other is left at his home (just in case!)

He wants to encrypt this flash drives, ideally in such a way that the decryption application is on the flash drive rather than on his home computer or laptop.

I used to know of something ages ago but can't remember what it is; I have had a look and come up with VereCrypt Portable - do any of you have experience of this or of any alternative?

Incidentally, I am aware that one can get flash drives with built-in encryption (e.g. from Integral, diskAshur, Aegis, the Kingston Ironkey D300S, ) but he is not keen on using two of these.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Something like Cryptomator in portable mode? https://cryptomator.org/

I know it advertises it as being 'cloud' encryption - but there's nothing to stop someone having a vault on a file system (i.e. your USB flash drive)
I had a look at that site, it did mention VeraCrypt in the context of that not working with the Cloud. However, I will give Cryptomator a go as well.

I think you can do it with Bitlocker which is built into Windows.
I must admit that I have tended to avoid BitLocker but again I will look at that as well.

Thanks to you both.

Back
Top Bottom