Energy Suppliers

Most of these posts are about electricity.
Does anyone know where I can look at Gas only Tariffs?

Octopus Go for Gas is 9.9p kWh which is a lot higher than our current supplier (Scottish Power) is offering for 1.5 year fix now at 7.2p kWh. Which is about £300 more a year for our gas use.

Ask them to go on the Gas Tracker then.

They don’t offer it to new customers do they?

That said it’s possible to just leave your gas with your current supplier and move your electric only to octopus. You don’t have to have both fuels with the same supplier.

If you have a cheap fixed rate for gas they might Chuck you off that if it was on the basis of having both fuels with them but you’ll end up on the variable which isn’t the end of the world in the current context and any cheap tariff is probably coming to an end soon anyway.

They don’t offer it to new customers do they?

You have to ask, they don't openly offer it to anyone, even I had to speak with 2 people and and send 2 emails to get on it, that was a while ago now though. Certainly worth asking (more than once) if you prefer it to a fixed cost price, as the predicted cost per Therm from March is way cheaper than any fixed I can see.

You have to ask, they don't openly offer it to anyone, even I had to speak with 2 people and and send 2 emails to get on it, that was a while ago now though. Certainly worth asking (more than once) if you prefer it to a fixed cost price, as the predicted cost per Therm from March is way cheaper than any fixed I can see.
I'll ask them.
Otherwise, it's annoying that to get the cheaper off-peak Octopus Go electricity rate, you have to get shafted on the peak electricity and gas rates, which ultimately cancels out the off-peak saving.

Had a statement through from Octopus and for some reason it states they require full payment as I don't have a direct debit setup.

I checked the bank statements and nothing went out in Jan, but previous months were fine and checked my Octopus account and it has the details for one being setup.

How very strange and annoying.

I emailed Octopus giving an updated final reading as they were out by 63.13kWh and I owed them. They updated things and I notice today that they are charging me £102.13 for the pleasure of those 63.13kWh!!

I have written to them to ask what is going on. That equates to 161.8p/kWh

They must have screwed something up........fingers crossed. The Octopus Go tariff in my area is only around 30p/kWh after all.

What fun.

I emailed Octopus giving an updated final reading as they were out by 63.13kWh and I owed them. They updated things and I notice today that they are charging me £102.13 for the pleasure of those 63.13kWh!!

They must have screwed something up........fingers crossed. The Octopus Go tariff in my area is only around 30p/kWh after all.

What fun.
Hiw do you know if it was day or night rate that was out? I've never had a rate that was split so just interested, I'd have thought they be really keen on making sire you didn't get too much of the night rate:D.

I've since noticed a date that's a bit off. It should be 63.13kWh from 1st Oct 2021 - 5th Oct 2021 but they've put 63.13kWh 1st Oct 2021 - 5th Oct 2022. I think they're charging me for what they think I'll use over a year.

Had a statement through from Octopus and for some reason it states they require full payment as I don't have a direct debit setup.

I checked the bank statements and nothing went out in Jan, but previous months were fine and checked my Octopus account and it has the details for one being setup.

How very strange and annoying.

Check your unit rates they have on the bill as well, EDF tried to charge me based on no DD pricing.

What fun.
MInd sharing wha email contact u used from Octopus? i want to query something with them

Eugh. So email through from Octopus about my fix ending in April.

They've offered me their "loyal customer fixed" which is 12 months fix, but pretty much double what I'm paying atm, or British Gas offering a 2 year fix which is ~10% cheaper, but with £75 exit fee per fuel.

Looking at the likely cap prices, it's going to be ~£30/month cheaper than the BG prices to just go on the variable, but obviously there's then the potential for a similar increase in October...

Really have no idea what to do at the moment :(

HOw many here work from home?

I think the people working from home are going to affected by this a lot. Had i be going to a office for work, that would have mitigated the cost of electrcity as it will basically be off for the whole day and only on/used during teh evenings and early mornings and weekends

I think a lot of that depends on your lifestyle while WFH.

A laptop and small monitor really doesn't take much to power.

But if you're someone who has the heating on 8 hours a day whilst home, boils a full kettle every few hours, and uses the oven to warm up some lunch, then yes i can imagine costs whilst WFH are going to get rather expensive.

Back
Top Bottom