Energy Suppliers

I would not bother. Indications are the cap will drop again in October before then rising again in January. I'm sticking with Octo Agile and hopefully getting on to Octo gas tracker shortly and then review the situation come start of Winter. With zero exit fees, all options are kept open.
That's exactly my thought as to why they've sent so many.

I've had the email from Octopus now, currently 10.204p for gas, going down to 7.399p
Electric going from 33.982p to 30.720p.

I am on 'Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1'

Do wonder whether it's worth changing tariff or fixing, we have gas central heating everything else is electric.

I've had the email from Octopus now, currently 10.204p for gas, going down to 7.399p
Electric going from 33.982p to 30.720p.

I am on 'Flexible Octopus November 2022 v1'

Do wonder whether it's worth changing tariff or fixing, we have gas central heating everything else is electric.
Octopus are usually penalty free exit? If no penalty and its cheaper than SVR, (and tracker isnt for you) then hop on it, and hop back off if SVR becomes more favourable again in future.

Unit rates for SVR from July.

What you quoted seems very similar to SVR, there is barely any difference, other than SVR will change again after 3 months (predicted to go down again in Oct and up slightly in Jan), whilst fixed would be for the year.

Last edited:
Get it tested. Is there a specific label on it already or is the just an opinion of a fitter?
Well, good and bad news. Octopus came out to install the smart meters and have said there is asbestos, but inn the main fuses (which are the responsibility of the power company). Called National Grid and they cannot get anyone out until August at least. No charges.
Gas a different story. Old lead pipe from the meter to the gas pipe and they would remove or even touch it. Did a drop test on the gas supply and it went through the floor.:eek:. Gas capped off for safety reasons as possible leak under the floor. My house is an old council house and the gas pipes ran from the meter, under the kitchen floor to the back boiler and fire in the living room. Had a gas engineer out, confirmed the leak and then tested the system. Leak is both from the pipework and the boiler, so I have bit the bullet and ordered a new combi boiler to be fitted upstairs in the airing cupboard.
I think the back boiler had been in at 30+ years, as we have lived in the house for 24 years and it was installed way before we were here.
Octopus engineers much better than EON though, who originally called out asbestos after walking in opening the cupboard and going no chance.

When the fitter came out to put the smart gas meter in, I also had a bit of lead pipe and they just swapped it out. It meant the job took a big longer but no issue.

Last edited:
Octopus are usually penalty free exit? If no penalty and its cheaper than SVR, (and tracker isnt for you) then hop on it, and hop back off if SVR becomes more favourable again in future.

Unit rates for SVR from July.

What you quoted seems very similar to SVR, there is barely any difference, other than SVR will change again after 3 months (predicted to go down again in Oct and up slightly in Jan), whilst fixed would be for the year.

They have recently added a fixed option around the same level as SVR, but it does have exit fee of £75 per fuel:

DEQDfWU.png

Finally ditched BG and moved to Octopus last week, the switch was done very quickly. BG phoned me once(didn't answer), guessing to try and get me to stay.

Emailed Octopus to change from fixed to variable DD, they replied & all done in just over an hour from me emailing them.

Still considering the Tracker tariff but want to see what the new terms will be and also need to arrange for a smart meter.

Finally ditched BG and moved to Octopus last week, the switch was done very quickly. BG phoned me once(didn't answer), guessing to try and get me to stay.

Emailed Octopus to change from fixed to variable DD, they replied & all done in just over an hour from me emailing them.

Still considering the Tracker tariff but want to see what the new terms will be and also need to arrange for a smart meter.

Make sure you used an octopus referal thing if you didn't yet, think you can add afterwards. Splits £100 £50 each between you and person who refers you.

This has probably been answered already somewhere in this thread but it's massive and a nightmare to find anything specific. I am going onto the Octopus Tracker for gas and electric on the 1st July and was wondering how I will know the unit cost throughout the day so I can move things around to the cheapest periods. I already have my smart meters set to 30 minute reporting so does the pricing show up in the Octopus app or something?

This has probably been answered already somewhere in this thread but it's massive and a nightmare to find anything specific. I am going onto the Octopus Tracker for gas and electric on the 1st July and was wondering how I will know the unit cost throughout the day so I can move things around to the cheapest periods. I already have my smart meters set to 30 minute reporting so does the pricing show up in the Octopus app or something?

The tracker is priced for the whole day. the price appears on the dashboard around midnight and is valid for that upcoming day. You can't see more than the day ahead.

Moving things around would need to be done at the day level not 30 mins or hourly or whatever.

Last edited:
Even the day level may not make sense since they seem to average the usage over the billing period and charge that per day
Its what the blurb says when you sign up and seems to be how they do it

At least for gas as a minimum

Thought we cleared that one up a while back, you do get charged based on usage on the day as long as you have a smart meter.

It spits out an average paid, and let's be realistic, it's probably not that much different if charged at the average level vs per day anyway, especially now with no CH needed.

JlvmBza.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom